SSH private key not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSH private key not working

I've been trying for weeks to get Beyond Compare to work when an SSH private key is specified to no luck.

Every time I try and connect I get the following error (and a password box):

16/04/2019 10:44:50 No more authentication methods available
    16/04/2019 10:44:50 Connection failed: Connection lost (error code is 10058)

I've tried everything (save password checked/unchecked, remove profile, new profile, default profile, etc).

Any ideas?

Key troubleshooting is pretty tricky. Are you able to use the same key in another program to authenticate? One of the most common problems I run into is remembering to set the chmod correctly on the folder and the authorized_keys file on the server to allow them to be used.

We have a KB article here. If you follow these steps (and regenerate the key as a troubleshooting step following this guide) does this work?
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ftp_privatekey
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The key works fine in other apps (Terminal & Transmit), it's just Beyond Compare which complains.

I'm on macOS Mojave using Version 4.2.9 of BC.

I've followed the steps on your site a few times, but still no luck. Any ideas on how to debug further?

Comment

I'd suggest attempting to regenerating a key following the above guide instructions and options, just in case the key itself is an issue somehow. If the newly generated pair works but the old key doesn't, that would be a different set of troubleshooting steps than if the new key also fails.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I've followed the instructions again and still no luck. I can login using Terminal.

Comment

What OS is the SSH server running (Ubuntu 18.04, macOS 10.14.4, etc)?

What is the output of sshd -V on the server?
            As an example, the output of the command on RHEL 7.6 is: OpenSSH_7.4p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2k-fips 26 Jan 2017

Is the SSH server using a default configuration (/etc/ssh/sshd_config on Linux), or is it customized?
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

The server is running Ubuntu 18.04.2.

Here's the output you requested: OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017

As far as I'm aware it's a default setup.

Comment

Please email /etc/ssh/sshd_config from the server, your Beyond Compare settings, and a Beyond Compare log showing the failure to support@scootersoftware.com and we'll continue investigating.

To save your Beyond Compare settings to a file on Mac, open Beyond Compare > Support, then click the Export button.

After a connection fails in BC's Folder Compare, click the Save button on the left side of the log pane at the bottom of the window to save the log to a file.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                X