Mojave 10.14.2 CPU and Flashing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojave 10.14.2 CPU and Flashing

I have been an avid fan of BC on PC's and recently started using a Mac. Having installed the app, I find it unusable, as the screen flashes like it is refreshing contantly and I can barely move the cursor let alone use any of the dialogs. What can be done to reconfigure this so it works normally on a mac?

Hi,

We have some test machines in office running 10.14.2, but haven't seen this behavior or had other reports of it yet. When does it occur for you? Is it immediately on startup on the Home screen? Or do specific views need to be launched with content loaded first? How often does the issue manifest or reproduce? And does it persist after a full system restart?

Which hardware are you running on?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I should add: are you running the latest BC 4.2.8 release?
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

All 4.x updates are free for 4.x users.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

MacOS Mojave v10.14.2
        MacBook Pro 2017, dual thunderbolt ports, 2.3 GHz Intel Core I5
        16 GB LPDDR3 memory
        256 GB SSD

Beyond compare version 4.2.8.23479

The problem behavior is predomintly (not exclusively) whenever the mouse is over a textbox control such as selecting the directory on left or right side.
        Last edited by soho1; 27-Dec-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Just hung too (attached snapshot) "Beyond Compare (Not Responding)"
          Attached Files

Comment

I could upload a process sample (with the call graph and threads, but your limit is 19.5 KB and the file is about 125 kb.

It starts like this...

Sampling process 5746 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
            Sampling completed, processing symbols...
            Analysis of sampling BCompare (pid 5746) every 1 millisecond
            Process: BCompare [5746]
            Path: /Users/myusername/Applications/Beyond Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare
            Load Address: 0x10000
            Identifier: com.ScooterSoftware.BeyondCompare
            Version: 4.2.8.23479 (4020.83.47)
            Code Type: X86
            Parent Process: ??? [1]

Date/Time: 2018-12-27 11:54:24.766 -0600
            Launch Time: 2018-12-27 09:28:33.155 -0600
            OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.2 (18C54)
            Report Version: 7
            Analysis Tool: /usr/bin/sample

Physical footprint: 153.7M
            Physical footprint (peak): 157.6M
            ----

Call graph:
            2363 Thread_45447 DispatchQueue_1: com.apple.main-thread (serial)
            + 2363 ??? (in BCompare) load address 0x10000 + 0xa85bf [0xb85bf]
            + 2363 ??? (in BCompare) load address 0x10000 + 0x19bb00 [0x1abb00]
            + 2363 ??? (in BCompare) load address 0x10000 + 0x79729 [0x89729]
            + 2363 ??? (in BCompare) load address 0x10000 + 0x141a6 [0x241a6]

... and ends like this...

0xa7c2d000 - 0xa7c2ffff libsystem_secinit.dylib (30.220.1) <134F8AAF-3A69-31B5-8C77-9545BA80B7E0> /usr/lib/system/libsystem_secinit.dylib
            0xa7c30000 - 0xa7c37fff libsystem_symptoms.dylib (820.237.2) <C492F02A-CC46-38F5-9673-FB4A3ACB3E76> /usr/lib/system/libsystem_symptoms.dylib
            0xa7c38000 - 0xa7c4cffb libsystem_trace.dylib (906.220.1) <3C04AA0C-A2CA-38B9-9E81-F655F4317A55> /usr/lib/system/libsystem_trace.dylib
            0xa7c4e000 - 0xa7c54fff libunwind.dylib (35.4) <D5256A06-AEE7-35D3-A8D0-7193ED20E28A> /usr/lib/system/libunwind.dylib
            0xa7c55000 - 0xa7c84ffb libxpc.dylib (1336.220.5) <C45A6C19-501D-3500-BA74-794A34A788DD> /usr/lib/system/libxpc.dylib
            Sample analysis of process 5746 written to file /dev/stdout

Comment

I did a forced quit and the crash report is 6.2 MB if you want it.

Comment

Hello,

You can email larger files to support@scootersoftware.com along with a brief description and link back to this forum thread for our reference.

What kind of mouse are you using? The build in trackpad or a magic mouse, or something else?
                Did a full restart impact this behavior? From a fresh boot of the computer and BC4, how quickly does the problem manifest when clicking between base folder path text boxes?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

great q about the mouse, I tried removing it (USB mouse made by HP actually) and just used the trackpad instead, no change.
                  full restart - no change
                  fresh reboot - no change
                  problem manifests as soon as BC4 is opened - occurs when trying to choose OR enter the first folder path

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the follow-ups. Have you encountered any other 'bad behavior' in other applications you've tried on your system? Do you have any other background programs running that could be closed or disabled that might be interacting, such as a window manager, adding tabs/buttons, magnification, etc? I mentioned a bit earlier that we haven't had any similar reports on MacOS, but sometimes on Windows we'll see bad behavior like this between BC4 and customization programs (like ones that alter the maximize behavior, alter titlebars, or otherwise interface with the general UI of Windows).
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Aaron,
                      The rest of the Mac seems fine. I run mutiple monitors, connect to my local LAN NAS,run external hard drives, use Parallels and other software just fine. Only BC4 seems to demonstrate a problem. I think I mentioned that the cursor flashing is ONLY when mousing over the BC4 text boxes (for inputs), not the file lists. Example dialog:

Tying to use it is painful when the problem hinders me from getting a path typed in or even selected using the pull-down.
                      Is there another release I could try?
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.47.00 AM.png Views:	2 Size:	20.0 KB ID:	79597
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by soho1; 05-Jan-2019, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the test. No, we do not have an alternate build, although we are working on a major re-write for MacOS to add 64bit support.

We haven't had any other reports come in yet, so I would still suspect it's a combination of software on your system that other users are not encountering. If you disable/quit various software (like Parallels) on your system, does this alter the behavior? If we can figure out what combination causes it, we can then try to reproduce this in house.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I'm also not seeing this problem on my Macs running 10.14.2, but some standard diagnostic tricks might help narrow it down:

1. Create a new user account on the computer, log in as that user, run the application and see if the problem occurs there. This starts the application with newly created default preferences, and bypasses login items and other methods of launching software that is only being done in your main user account.

If the problem goes away then it is probably caused by something running in your main user account (or the application's preferences, which seems unlikely as this was a new install of Beyond Compare).

If the problem is still there it is probably something installed at the system level.

2. You can disable most add-on software at the system level by restarting in "safe" mode by holding down the Shift key at startup, until after the boot progress bar starts advancing. If you use FileVault then you need to hold down Shift while clicking the right arrow button after typing in your password; if you don't use FileVault then you need to hold down Shift by the time the Apple logo appears.

Note that safe boot will take a long time to start up, and some software won't work because necessary components have not been loaded, graphics acceleration is disabled, etc. Test the misbehaving application, and once the testing is done restart normally. That restart will also take longer than normal because the kernel extension cache gets rebuilt, but after that the system will be back to normal.

If the problem goes away while in safe boot then that suggests something installed at the system level, most likely third party software, is interfering with Beyond Compare. This could be an extension (in /System/Library/Extensions or /Library/Extensions) but there are other ways that third party software can be launched at startup, e.g. via launch daemons.

If the problem is still there while in safe boot then we're in the twilight zone: it might be something specific to the Mac model or its particular GPU/drivers, a bad OS install or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by soho1 View Post
                            great q about the mouse, I tried removing it (USB mouse made by HP actually) and just used the trackpad instead, no change.
                            full restart - no change
                            fresh reboot - no change
                            problem manifests as soon as BC4 is opened - occurs when trying to choose OR enter the first folder path
                            Just curious what is the difference between full restart and fresh reboot?

Comment

Working...
                            X