X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klm
    started a topic 64-bit version for Mac?

64-bit version for Mac?

Apple seems to be getting more serious about 64-bit apps on macOS (see 64-bit Requirement for Mac Apps) -- and we've seen with iOS 11 that they're serious about stopping support for 32-bit apps.

Any plans for Beyond Compare on the Mac to be compiled 64-bits?

• Chris
    replied
    Thank you for your support. We don't need anything right now. When the 64-bit Mac version is released in beta we'll update this thread and look forward to your feedback.

Leave a comment:

• luckman212
    replied
    Glad to hear it's chugging along! Anything we can do to help? I am willing to pay for upgrade fees in advance etc if that helps at all. I believe many others would do the same... Beyond Compare is far and away the most beloved app on my machine. I use it not just daily but multiple times throughout the day. Can't count how many hours of time it's saved me.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    We don't have a percentage, but it's chugging along and we're still working hard to meet the Sept 2019 deadline.

Leave a comment:

• dgarratt
    replied
    I'm now down to 3 apps which are 32bit and 2 of them appear to be from Apple. I don't think I would want to upgrade and go without Beyond Compare as I use it daily. Is there some indication % as to how close the 64 bit version is to release or beta or alpha testing ? Many thanks. Dave

Leave a comment:

• borekb
    replied
    It's been something of a shock to continuously scramble to fix things for every new macOS release; Beyond Compare 1.8 still works on Windows 10 64-bit, and that came out in 1999.
    I'm only half-joking when I ask if you have considered Electron. I know this would basically mean throwing away a lot of code but increasingly, working with Electron apps is just my preferred experience: they never have problems with Unicode, I can zoom the UI to make it comfortable, they work the same way across Windows and macOS, the underlying tech is fast enough today (see VSCode), etc. It must be a pain to maintain lots of native code that doesn't really have any value added.

BC could also gain other benefits from it, like using a Monaco editor as a replacement for the current text widget and other things that are just improving in the JS ecosystem year over year.

Leave a comment:

• dcblack
    replied
    It will be interesting if Apple follows through with their rumored migration to Arm 64-bit processors. I know this migration to 64-bit Intel is a preparation for the possibilty.

Leave a comment:

• ZoŽ
    replied
    v5 will be a paid upgrade, so you'll still have your chance We were originally planning on releasing the 64bit update as part of v5, but Apple's timetable was sooner than we expected, so we had to rearrange the schedule to make sure we have it out in time for macOS 10.15. We've been able to continue for as long as we have on the strength of happy customers, and twisting their arms with a forced upgrade definitely wouldn't give us that. We're also still getting a feel for what it takes to support faster moving, less stable platforms. It's been something of a shock to continuously scramble to fix things for every new macOS release; Beyond Compare 1.8 still works on Windows 10 64-bit, and that came out in 1999.

Leave a comment:

• ings
    replied
    You "plan on providing a free update"? I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I'd echo a previous poster who said you should charge us for the upgrade! I've used BC for many years, and I am happy to contribute to its development and maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    We plan on providing a free update for MacOS 64bit support for BC4 users.
    If we have not launched ahead of time when macOS 10.15 is released, we'll will release a 64-bit alpha/beta version of BC.

If you are not in a rush, you can wait for and trial the release once it is available.

Leave a comment:

• BasilFawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris View Post
    We're aware that macOS 10.15 (September or October 2019) will remove 32-bit app support and are working hard on a 64-bit version to meet that deadline.

32-bit apps including Beyond Compare 4 will be supported in macOS 10.14 (September or October 2018).
    I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet (I'm on High Sierra). But, I was wondering - if I purchase the pro version now, then will the 64 bit version be a free upgrade or will I have to pay again? I'm not needing BC right away, but eventually would like to purchase it - the question is whether I could get it now, or should I wait for the 64-bit version?

Leave a comment:

• Greg Macdonald
    replied
    As others, I have been using BC for many years and am very, very grateful for an excellent app. I can't remember the last time I gave you money. You should charge me for a 64-bit version. Well, actually, we should all be happy to show our gratitude.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    No updates at this time. It's possible to troubleshoot general sluggish behavior in another thread or an email (support@scootersoftware.com) but you are correct in that it will be greatly effected and different behavior once a new build is available.

Leave a comment:

• tonyfwhite
    replied
    Any eta on when we might see a 64bit version available? Not sure if it is due to the 32bit or what but finding beyond compare is sluggish.

Leave a comment:

• foxnetradio
    replied
    They're well deserved, Chris (and Team). I had a feeling you'd say all implementation is done in-house, and that's great. Keep up the good work!

(I had originally just typed "on-site", thought about it, and changed it back to "in-house". Might be one thing, might not; and, not the point!)

--Ed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X