Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be interesting if Apple follows through with their rumored migration to Arm 64-bit processors. I know this migration to 64-bit Intel is a preparation for the possibilty.

Comment

It's been something of a shock to continuously scramble to fix things for every new macOS release; Beyond Compare 1.8 still works on Windows 10 64-bit, and that came out in 1999.
      I'm only half-joking when I ask if you have considered Electron. I know this would basically mean throwing away a lot of code but increasingly, working with Electron apps is just my preferred experience: they never have problems with Unicode, I can zoom the UI to make it comfortable, they work the same way across Windows and macOS, the underlying tech is fast enough today (see VSCode), etc. It must be a pain to maintain lots of native code that doesn't really have any value added.

BC could also gain other benefits from it, like using a Monaco editor as a replacement for the current text widget and other things that are just improving in the JS ecosystem year over year.

Comment

I'm now down to 3 apps which are 32bit and 2 of them appear to be from Apple. I don't think I would want to upgrade and go without Beyond Compare as I use it daily. Is there some indication % as to how close the 64 bit version is to release or beta or alpha testing ? Many thanks. Dave

Comment

We don't have a percentage, but it's chugging along and we're still working hard to meet the Sept 2019 deadline.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Glad to hear it's chugging along! Anything we can do to help? I am willing to pay for upgrade fees in advance etc if that helps at all. I believe many others would do the same... Beyond Compare is far and away the most beloved app on my machine. I use it not just daily but multiple times throughout the day. Can't count how many hours of time it's saved me.

Comment

Thank you for your support. We don't need anything right now. When the 64-bit Mac version is released in beta we'll update this thread and look forward to your feedback.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X