SSH2 sessions very slow to connect after BC upgrade to v.4.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSH2 sessions very slow to connect after BC upgrade to v.4.4

After upgrading to version 4.4 (build 25886) on Ubuntu 21.04, SFTP profiles started to behave "badly": connection takes a lot of time (~4 min). After this "timeout", session works fine.

Before BC update they worked fine.

All my SFTP profiles look like this:

Protocol: SFTP (SSH2)
    Host: xxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyyy.zzzzzzzz
    Port: 22
    Username: <empty>
    Password: <empty>
    Save password: unchecked
    SSH private key file: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    "Use default" is checked in all other tabs.

For these SSH sessions to work I use VPN.

I open new tab, click Text Compare, left pane contains local file, right pane contains "profile:<profile-name>?path/to/file".

The same problem happens when I click old session in history.
    Last edited by FourLegsDriveCat; 16-Aug-2021, 12:25 PM.

Thank you for reporting the issue, we'll investigate.

What OS are the SFTP servers running (Ubuntu 20.04, Redhat Enterprise Linux 7, etc)?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris,

It's Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS.
      By the way, simple "ssh -i keyfile hostname" from terminal works fine (no delays).

Comment

I have the same issue here:

Code:
        08/23/2021 11:26:49 AM Username: juergen
        08/23/2021 11:26:49 AM Connecting to tvwz
        08/23/2021 11:35:41 AM Server key [RSA SHA256:n03/rsyCQ5Jua6kiMMMJhJdqmZhpTlDwotkGwCdJNZU]
        08/23/2021 11:35:41 AM Keyboard interactive authorization failed.
        08/23/2021 11:35:41 AM Public key agent authorization successful.
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Server software: OpenSSH_8.0
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Compression: none
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Encryption: aes256-ctr
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM MAC algorithm: hmac-sha1
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Connected to tvwz port 22
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Using SFTP version 3.
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Server information:
        08/23/2021 11:35:42 AM Current Folder: /storage
        This is Beyond Compare 4.4 (build 25886) running on Debian 11.0 bullseye, the server is LibreELEC 9.2.6 on a Raspberry Pi 2.
        Connecting with ssh on the command line works fine.

FourLegsDriveCat Thanks for reporting it, before I had never waited long enough.

Comment

We've duplicated the issue and our developers are working on a fix.

The issue appears to happen on Linux and macOS if ~/.ssh/id_rsa is a key with a passphrase, but Beyond Compare 4.4's SFTP profile uses a private key that is not that default ~/.ssh/id_rsa filename.

starblue, I will email your forum email address with a download link for version 4.3.7 so you can downgrade until a fix is available.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I have set that file as the key, however authorization is via ssh-agent.
            I.e. before using Beyond Compare I do `ssh-add`.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-08-31_22-00-44.png
Views:	131
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	86408
            Attached Files

Comment

Same issue on archlinux using the AUR package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bcompare/

Is there a workaround that I can do locally using version 4.4? Would it work using a key file instead of user credentials or something?

Any ETA on a fix? o

Comment

Reverting to 4.3.7 is the only workaround right now. We're working on a fix for the issue introduced in BC 4.4, when a fix is available we'll post an update to this forum thread.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to it

Since I'm lazy and usually use downgrade for stuff like this, which doesn't do it for bcompare, I had to look this up first. Sharing it may spare the next person a few minutes, so here's how to downgrade the bcompare AUR package to version 4.3.7.25118 on archlinux:
                  1. Create a new folder somewhere (make sure that the path does not contain any spaces - else makepkg will fail with "No such file or directory" on ./src/install/bin).
                  2. Download https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.g...bd94fb4.tar.gz into that folder and extract its contents.
                    The link to that file can be found here https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.g...f7532f7bd94fb4
                    Other versions here https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=bcompare
                  3. Enter that recent download folder in a terminal, make sure there is a PKGBUILD file present and run (not as root)
                    Code:
                    makepkg
                  4. Finally run (use sudo or root)
                    Code:
                    pacman -U bcompare-4.3.7.25118-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
                  Sorry if this thread ain't supposed to contain stuff like this - am new around here and didn't double check.
                  Last edited by vertex; 18-Oct-2021, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Vertex, thank you for sharing the instructions, I'm sure our other customers on Arch Linux will appreciate it.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I seem to run into this issue too, Ubuntu 20.04.2, BC 4.4 (build 25886), although I've never waited long enough for a "timeout" to finish. Any change you could post or DM the 4.3 link to me as well?

Comment

qrazi,

I emailed a download link for version 4.3.7 to your forum account email address. A fix for this issue is in internal testing, we'll update this forum thread when the fix is publicly released.
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                        X