Easy way to override folder permissions 'on the fly'?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stc
    Enthusiast
    • Jun 2005

Easy way to override folder permissions 'on the fly'?

Is there an easy way to temporarily override folder permissions in order to copy to, or delete files in a more restricted folder?
    In other words, similar to using 'sudo' on the command line. I'd like to avoid having to start up a new bc as root, if that is possible.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

BC4's current instance would be limited to the permissions it was launched with. You could create an Open With option, which can execute a command line and pass the selection as a parameter, which could perform some steps like this if you create the necessary script files to execute on the selection.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• stc
      Enthusiast
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Aaron
      BC4's current instance would be limited to the permissions it was launched with. You could create an Open With option, which can execute a command line and pass the selection as a parameter, which could perform some steps like this if you create the necessary script files to execute on the selection.
      Thanks for your reply, Aaron. That sounds involved. As often as not, I need to place a 'sudo' in front of a Linux command, due to restrictive permissions on most Linux folders. When I get an unexpected permissions error via command line, it's just a matter of recalling the command and inserting sudo. But it would be great to have something similar built into BC's Linux version. Especially given that it's sometimes tough to determine in advance whether enhanced permissions will be required at some point.

Do you think it would be complicated to offer a temporary override of normal user permissions? (Suggestion for a future rev)

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I've added running a file operation as root/sudo without relaunching BC to the feature request list for a future version.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• stc
          Enthusiast
          • Jun 2005

Terrific, Chris! I think that will be a very useful option.
          BTW, BC really helps the transition to Linux for us Windows users. It's nice to have something that looks like home. :-)

Comment

• RobN
            New User
            • Apr 2020

Is there a way to "upvote" feature requests for future versions? Because this would be useful for me, as well!

The user I log in as doesn't have read permissions to everything, though I have sudo and can see whatever I need that way. An option to use sudo to force the ability to read a file or update a file, or even a post-login script only executed by Beyond Compare that could su to another account, would satisfy a need I'm running into.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Yes, I can add your notes and scenario to our notes on the subject, which help our developers when they research different ideas.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• vmeruv
                New User
                • Sep 2020

We need this feature to be added urgently to Beyond Compare current and feature versions. There are lot of security restrictions on Linux Systems these days which require sudo login to another user using our LAN credentials. Looks like this feature request is pending for many years with Beyond Compare team.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Elevating mid-run is something on our radar, but is not a feature we'll be able to tackle soon. If frequent, you'll need to initially launch BC4 in the elevated state, or launch a new instance in the elevated state and reload that part of the comparison into the new, elevated window.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...