Multiple bcompare ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple bcompare ?

Hello, Is it possible to run two bcompare at the same time ? I'm asking because I did, and there was two bcompare running, each to their own two directories. I closed them, then launched them again with different directories and the second incantation will make the first one go away - nowhere to be found.

I had to rename the directories to post this.

One bcompare launched:

5783 0.0 0.0 4628 784 pts/2 S+ 08:15 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/bcompare dir01/ dir02/

5795 28.3 0.4 462288 66040 pts/2 Sl+ 08:15 0:00 /usr/bin/bcompare dir01/ dir02/

The other one was launched. The first one has vanished. It is nowhere to be seen in the desktop manager even if it's still running:

5783 0.0 0.0 4628 784 pts/2 S+ 08:15 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/bcompare dir01/ dir02/

5795 3.0 0.4 470596 69680 pts/2 Sl+ 08:15 0:01 /usr/bin/bcompare dir01/ dir02/

5816 0.0 0.0 4628 812 pts/3 S+ 08:16 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/bcompare dir01/ dir03/

5833 0.0 0.0 15044 764 pts/3 S+ 08:16 0:00 cat /tmp/BC4_.5816

Please note: one directory is used by both instances. The system is Xubuntu 18.04 LTS (Ubuntu). Xubuntu is used with several desktop views usign the default Xfce desktop manager. The first bcompare is on desktop # 5, the other on desktop # 7. bcompare was installed using a Debian package:

ii bcompare 4.3.1-24438 amd64

It ran fine the first time around only.

Thanks.

Hello,

The expected behavior is for BC4 to launch, detect the existing process, and join as a single process by default. This allows communication between windows/tabs, such as dragging tabs from one existing window to another, etc.
    If you add -solo, then each call can be an independent process. It sounds like the first run was unexpectedly not joining them correctly, but if you add -solo does this get you the behavior you are looking for?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks. I saw this and wrote about it in an update to the post but since the post was not approved yet, it couldn't be updated. It's the first use that confused things a bit as there were two instances. On the other hand, the -solo switch, as in 'bcompare -solo <dir1> <dir2>' or bcompare <dir1> <dir2> -solo' does not work at all as it makes bcompare report a file not found error.

Comment

Hello,

-solo should work before or after the arguments. You may need to put "quotes" around the directory paths, in case there is any whitespace that needs to be dealt with. If you are still having trouble, if you could post or email your exact text and following error (full screen, what BC4 attempts to load as base folder paths) this would help. If emailed, please include this forum thread as a URL link for our reference.

I found your update to the previous post email as well. The Folder Compare Info dialog is available as soon as the Load finishes, and shouldn't be impacted by solo or not solo mode. I'm not sure what impossibility scenario you are running into, but if you have more info you'd like to share or troubleshoot, please let us know.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X