Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've installed BC in Ubuntu but can't figure out how to run it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've installed BC in Ubuntu but can't figure out how to run it.

I used the instructions on your install page, i.e:

Linux Installation Instructions
    BC3 logo BC version 3 or 4
    Debian, Ubuntu...............

Terminal Install

wget https://www.scootersoftware.com/bcom...3626_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gdebi-core
    sudo gdebi bcompare-4.2.9.23626_amd64.deb

BC seemed to install but I've no idea how to run it. Is this another Terminal task?

Last edited by tracker; 14-May-2019, 08:48 PM.

Hello,

Running the installer deb will usually install a 'shortcut' to your main system menu's listing of applications. The default install instructions are to double click the downloaded .deb file from our website, and let the system OS's default installer program handle the installation.

Searching for "Beyond Compare" will pop up the icon. You can also run "bcompare" from the Terminal to launch directly from a command line.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello, Running the installer deb will usually install a 'shortcut' to your main system menu's listing of applications. The default install instructions are to double click the downloaded .deb file from our website, and let the system OS's default installer program handle the installation.

Searching for "Beyond Compare" will pop up the icon. You can also run "bcompare" from the Terminal to launch directly from a command line.
      Thanks. Yes, I thought there would be a link to BC in the apps list but there isn't. And, to avoid confusion, I didn't mention that I also downloaded BC from your website, while in Ubuntu. And running that didn't seem to have any effect, either.

It's frustrating.
      If it was in Windows I'd be able to find the downloaded\installed files and determine what went wrong.
      In Linux, I'm hornswoggled.

Anyway, I'll follow the suggestions in your third sentence.

Cheers
      Last edited by tracker; 16-May-2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

What version of Ubuntu, and which desktop environment are you using?

I'm using Xubuntu 16.04.6 with the default XFCE desktop. In the applications menu, Beyond Compare (v. 4.2.9) shows up in the "All" and "Development" sections.

Although, I used a nonstandard method to install BC. I manually created the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/scootersoftware.list (copied from an earlier Ubuntu installation), and then installed "bcompare" using synaptic.

Comment

Dave, thanks. I'll try your suggestion.

Comment

If you are still having any trouble, I'd also suggest a full uninstall if you used any other methods, including Ubuntu's (sometimes default) method of a SNAP package. Remove these, then reboot and try a fresh install with a downloaded (64bit?).deb from our website, double click and use the default installer method.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X