Freezes when opening large files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezes when opening large files

Not sure if this is Linux-specific, but when comparing a large files (e.g. MP4) with nothing (no matching file in the opposite panel), BC Version 4.2.9 (build 23626) causes a spike in CPU usage while it opens the file, only to display in hex the first visible page, during which it is unresponsive.

This is a case that should be optimized by reading only the first few kilobytes of the file.

Thanks for the report. How large are the files you are accidentally opening in the Hex Compare, and how long is the program unresponsive? The initial load does have some time where the Hex Compare can be unresponsive for large files.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

On a Core i5 (Lenovo X1C 6th gen), Beyond Compare is unresponsive for about 7 seconds per 100 Mb file. Not a very long while, but frustrating as I try to click the "x" to close the hex viewer tab.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Given that hardware and file size, taking a few seconds to open the comparison is in line with our current capabilities. It's on our wishlist to improve performance, and I'll add these notes and example to our entry on the subject.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

There's also the issue of memory use/leak. If I open a 1GB video file (not uncommon), BeyondCompare will eat up ~8GB RAM.

I'm by no means an expert in the topic, but loading huge chunks in memory seems like a scalability problem, especially if there is no second file to compare against (a simple optimization IMO).

Anyway, thanks for adding this to the TODO list.

Comment

Agreed that it should be addressed, although it is likely not as simple a fix as it appears. BC4's loading often includes the original file and the comparison layer, and any editing. 8gb is an extreme amount of usage, but may require bigger changes to reduce that footprint.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X