X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fabnicol
    Visitor
    • Sep 2016

Linux-specific Find issue

I'm having a Linux-specific issue with the simple "Find" (Ctrl + F in Search menu) capability. Normally this very basic call works with all apps, even basic free ones, but with bc4 I just can't get any result out of the find.
    The issue arises both with Hex and Ascii searches and is not related to file size. There is no issue with the Windows version and the same files. I tried bc4 (trial version) on Mint 17/18 and Gentoo (tar.gz install). A variety of files were used and all of them had the same issue, which does not look to be file-specific.
    I run a corei7 64-bit Intel processor with 64 GB of RAM and a recent Gigabyte mother card.
    Any experience around on this annoying issue?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

What is the exact error you are seeing? That the Find panel does not appear? That you enter a search phrase but clicking Find does not appear to do anything? Another issue?

Assuming the panel appears but does not seem to find, note that the default Find location can be Left, Right, Both, or Selected pane. Use the dropdown in the Find panel to expand it, and verify that this dropdown is selected to the pane you want to search.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• fabnicol
      Visitor
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

What is the exact error you are seeing? That the Find panel does not appear? That you enter a search phrase but clicking Find does not appear to do anything? Another issue?

Assuming the panel appears but does not seem to find, note that the default Find location can be Left, Right, Both, or Selected pane. Use the dropdown in the Find panel to expand it, and verify that this dropdown is selected to the pane you want to search.
      Their is no error message. The find panel is there, the search phrase is entered, then after clicking Find the app does not stop processing the request without any output. After some time, the app freezes and the user is left with no other option than to sigkill the pid.

Comment

• fabnicol
        Visitor
        • Sep 2016

The Find pannel appears.
        I only did Hex comps with 1 or two files side by side (not relevant).
        Selecting value of Find location in dropdown does not change anything.
        Tring to find 0xFF in a hex file results in a message about searching for "" that apparently sets off an infinite loop.
        Attached screenshot.
        As the app seemingly freezes I can't report through support menu.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the additional details. I've reproduced the behavior you are seeing with the latest release and opened a bug tracker entry.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• fabnicol
            Visitor
            • Sep 2016

Hi,
            I'm of opinion that users reporting major reproducible bugs should win a standard-to-pro free upgrade.
            Please forward this, just in case it worked

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

The Linux Hex Compare find bug is fixed in BC 4.1.9.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• fabnicol
                Visitor
                • Sep 2016

Confirm

Aaah, that's much better now.
                Confirmed on Gentoo ~amd64, from debian binary Ark-extraction.
                So I can buy my license in the end.

Comment

Working...