Clear All
  • Dave_L
    Veteran
    • Dec 2007

Unable to move file

BC 4.1.1-20615 64-bit
    Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS 64-bit
    Desktop environment: LXDE

I created a file /tmp/xyzzy owned by my user account. When trying to move the file from /tmp to my home directory, I get the error: "Unable to move /tmp/xyzzy: Permission denied."
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you launch the graphical File Explorer utility, are you able to Move the file from Source to Destination without an elevation prompt? Are you able to perform a Copy in BC4?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

The default LXDE graphical file explorer utility, PCManFM, does not have a "move" feature, but I can move the file by cutting and pasting it.

I can also move the file using the shell command "mv /tmp/xyzzy /home/test".

In BC, I can copy the file from /tmp/xyzzy to /home/test/xyzzy, and I can delete the original file. It's only the one-step "move" that fails.
      Last edited by Dave_L; 19-Oct-2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

I tested this on my Ubuntu 12.04 and setup a Lubuntu 12.04 (Ubuntu + LXDE) test machine, but the Move command works well. Could you double check your permission settings on the folder, and try a Move command on two test folders within your /home/username/?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
          Veteran
          • Dec 2007

The Move command works correctly between two test folders within my /home/username/ directory.

Here are the permissions on the /tmp directory:

Code:
          $ stat /tmp
            File: `/tmp'
            Size: 20480     	Blocks: 40         IO Block: 4096   directory
          Device: 806h/2054d	Inode: 1310722     Links: 16
          Access: (1777/drwxrwxrwt)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
          Access: 2015-10-19 16:03:44.297385703 -0400
          Modify: 2015-10-19 16:03:37.841425477 -0400
          Change: 2015-10-19 16:03:37.841425477 -0400
           Birth: -

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks. And what are the permissions for your subfolder within tmp (xyxxy/) and the file within you are trying to move?

Another test would be to Create the folder within tmp/ (navigate to /tmp/newtestfolder/ and answer Yes to the prompt to create the new folder), then copy or create a file within the folder using BC4. I'd like to narrow down if there's a permission difference between our setups, and if there is a method to create a file with accessible permissions on your machine.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
              Veteran
              • Dec 2007

xyzzy is a file, not a folder. Here are its permissions:

Code:
              $ stat /tmp/xyzzy
                File: `/tmp/xyzzy'
                Size: 31        	Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   regular file
              Device: 806h/2054d	Inode: 1310853     Links: 1
              Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--)  Uid: ( 1001/    test)   Gid: ( 1002/    test)
              Access: 2015-10-19 19:20:00.391090162 -0400
              Modify: 2015-10-19 19:19:59.375095076 -0400
              Change: 2015-10-19 19:19:59.375095076 -0400
               Birth: -

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

I've set up a similar scenario, but Move, Copy, and Delete work when I'm logged on as the user (test), and if I Switch Users to another, Copy works and Move and Delete fail.

To confirm: you are currently the user "test", and the Delete that works is the internal BC4 delete, correct?

If you create a new file in /tmp/ using the File Explorer (PCManFM is the default for my install), then boot up BC4 and attempt to Move it to your /home/test/ folder, it works or also fails?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
                  Veteran
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
                  I've set up a similar scenario, but Move, Copy, and Delete work when I'm logged on as the user (test), and if I Switch Users to another, Copy works and Move and Delete fail.

To confirm: you are currently the user "test", and the Delete that works is the internal BC4 delete, correct?
                  Correct.

If you create a new file in /tmp/ using the File Explorer (PCManFM is the default for my install), then boot up BC4 and attempt to Move it to your /home/test/ folder, it works or also fails?
                  It fails.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello Dave,

Is there anything else about your system setup that might impact access to this location? We've tried on a couple of different VM configurations in office but aren't seeing anything like the issue you are hitting.

Do you have another/similar machine you could try testing on as well? Does this impact files outside of /tmp/ for you?

It might also help to get a copy of your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export. You can email it to us at [email protected] along with a link to this forum thread.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
                      Veteran
                      • Dec 2007

If you can't duplicate it, I'll just continue to use the copy/delete workaround. Thanks for your effort.

Comment

• ynuargyn
                        Visitor
                        • Dec 2015

Hi,

I also cannot "move" files, but only if the two folders are of a different file systems location.
                        I'll try to explain better:

from File System EXT3 to EXT3 ----> move is OK
                        from FAT32 to FAT32 ----> move is OK

from EXT3 to FAT32 ---> move generates an error
                        from FAT32 to EXT3 ---> same error
                        and same error from/to NTFS / EXT3

This is an example of the error message from BEYOND COMPARE:

DATE Unable to move /media/xxx/Today/empty.json: An operating system call failed.
                        DATE Failed to move 1 items. Completed in 0,27 seconds.

I hope it could be of any help...

Regards

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the tips. I tried reproducing this with a Fat32 USB stick, but didn't see the same issues with my Test VM. It's possible I would need to set up a Linux box to give it a try.

Which OS would you be running? That error message is different than the original posting. Does this error reproduce after a restart of your computer?
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ynuargyn
                            Visitor
                            • Dec 2015

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm not so accustomed to English language, so it will be easier to write single points about what could be relevant to this topic. This way should be better, or at least I hope so :-)

- OS is Xubuntu 15.10 32bit
                            - got full administration rights to everything and everywhere
                            - the internal hard disk has 3 partitions, 2x EXT3 and 1x FAT32
                            - there is also an external FAT32 hard disk for sharing files with colleagues under Windows OS
                            - COPY, PASTE and even DELETE are working perfectly between and inside all 4 partitions using BC
                            - MOVE works only between partitions with same file system
                            - each time it gives the error message stated in my previous post
                            - as already said, doing the workaround "Copy & Then Delete" is the momentary solution
                            - as I can remember, this behaviour starts here roundabout with the BC version 4.1, but it can't be more precise
                            - it happens always and everytime, also after a restart and even next to fresh installations of the xubuntu OS and then BC last but one version

I'm going to try BC version 4.1.3 during next days.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
                            ynuargyn

ps: another point:
                            - BC is an incredible useful program! Thank you for having created it!
                            Last edited by ynuargyn; 20-Dec-2015, 12:20 AM. Reason: grammar corrections

Comment

• Dave_L
                              Veteran
                              • Dec 2007

I'm wondering if the problem is due to the fact that BC is using a library function that's more restrictive than the shell "mv" command. For example, the man page for "rename(2)" indicates restrictions that do not apply to the "mv" command. See the entries under "EPERM or EACCES" and "EXDEV" here:
                              http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../rename.2.html

Comment

Working...