X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Troubleshooting Linux Context Menus

If you're having trouble with the right click context menu on Linux, please refer to the article Linux Context Menu Does Not Appear on our website.

If following the general troubleshooting steps doesn't fix the context menu issue, refer to the Manual Linux Context Menu Install Instructions.

If you're a developer and you'd like to add context menu support for a previously unsupported Linux distribution, we've also published the context menu source code on GitHub. If you do add context menu support for a previously unsupported distribution, please send us a pull request and we'll integrate them into a future release of Beyond Compare.
    Last edited by Chris; 07-May-2015, 11:08 AM.
    Chris K Scooter Software
  • ChrisM
    New User
    • Jul 2015

Any chance of someone writing extensions for the nemo file browser (Mint Linux)?

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

It would be great if there is a customer familiar with the Mint context menu support that could help us out. We've open sourced the context support on GitHub and could pull in any submitted changes. We don't have the resources to help tackle this at this time.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4.1 added support for file manager context menu items in Linux Mint Cinnamon. Context menus support on Linux Mint MATE is still on our todo list for a future version.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mvk
          New User
          • Sep 2015

your .spec is too smart
          this is why it breaks.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

No, it broke because nemo and caja couldn't be bothered to maintain compatibility with nautilus plugins, so we had to set up new VMs, fork our code with stupidly insignificant changes, and distribute two additional .so files (4 if you count 32/64 bit).
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• arcadian75
              New User
              • Dec 2021

With the latest Beyond Compare as of this writing, 4.4.1 (Build 26165), I came across an issue with using this in Arch Linux and KDE 5. The AUR package for Arch will need to be updated, but that isn't the responsibility of Scooter. I wanted to point out that if this version is installed from the tar.gz, it will work fine, with one caveat.

The /usr/lib64/beyondcompare/kde_context_menu file (as installed on my system in KDE 5) that gets installed seems to be referring to possibly an old config directory, or this is a difference on what the Arch package uses. This affects the context menu functions from working properly.

To fix this, I updated the following path in this file to point to where my config dir is located.

$HOME/.beyondcompare --> $HOME/.config/bcompare

Lines updated:

/usr/lib64/beyondcompare/kde_context_menu:

Line 54: SELECTEDLEFT="$HOME/.beyondcompare/selectedleft"
              Line 55: SELECTEDCENTER="$HOME/.beyondcompare/selectedcenter"

Line 95: if [ -f $HOME/.beyondcompare/menu.ini ]; then
              Line 96: CONFIGFILE=$HOME/.beyondcompare/menu.ini

Updated to:

Line 54: SELECTEDLEFT="$HOME/.config/bcompare/selectedleft"
              Line 55: SELECTEDCENTER="$HOME/.config/bcompare/selectedcenter"

Line 95: if [ -f $HOME/.config/bcompare/menu.ini ]; then
              Line 96: CONFIGFILE=$HOME/.config/bcompare/menu.ini

After making this update, the context menu in Dolphin on Arch Linux was able to do the various selection and compare operations again.

Hoping this can help anyone else until the package gets updated to accommodate the possible difference in config location.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks! I'll write up these notes for a developer to investigate.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...