• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cschmidt
    Visitor
    • Sep 2014

Unable to upgrade to BC4 on Ubuntu 12.04

Hi There,

I just installed BC3 from the Ubutnu Software Center. That version ran fine, but told me there was BC4. I haven't been able to upgrade to that version. I downloaded bcompare-4.0.0.18847_amd64.deb, but when I try to install it I get this error:

cschmidt@cschmidt-dev:~/Downloads$ sudo gdebi bcompare-4.0.0.18847_amd64.deb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Building data structures... Done

Beyond Compare 4
    Beyond Compare is a powerful time-saving utility for comparing files and
    folders.
    Use it to manage source code, keep folders in sync, compare program output,
    and validate copies of your data. Beyond Compare can create a snapshot of a
    live directory structure, and compare it against the live copy at a later
    date.
    Beyond Compare helps you analyze differences in detail and carefully reconcile
    them. It commands a wide range of file and text operations, as well as script
    commands for automating tasks.
    Do you want to install the software package? [y/N]:y
    (Reading database ... 187781 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking bcompare (from bcompare-4.0.0.18847_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing bcompare-4.0.0.18847_amd64.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/share/pixmaps/bcomparefull32.png', which is also in package bcompare-bin:i386 3.3.8-0ubuntu1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    bcompare-4.0.0.18847_amd64.deb

I have tried uninstalling BC3 with the Software Center interface, but get the same error. I've even tried deleting the .png file mentioned in the error message, but strangely that doesn't seem to change things either.

Any suggestions? This is my first try of BC, and so far it isn't going so well.

-Craig Schmidt
  • Dave_L
    Veteran
    • Dec 2007

You probably should use bcompare-4.0.0.18847_i386.deb rather than bcompare-4.0.0.18847_amd64.deb.

I'm also using Ubuntu 12.04, on a 64-bit platform, and I successfully installed BC4 with gdebi, using the _i386 .deb, not the _amd64 one.

I uninstalled BC3 before installing BC4, but I don't know if that's essential.

Comment

• cschmidt
      Visitor
      • Sep 2014

still not working

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I might suggest updating the documentation. I read this in the instructions:

64-bit versions of Debian 6 or older and Ubuntu 13.04 or older require the AMD64.deb package. All other versions (32-bit and 64-bit) of Debian and Ubuntu require the i386.deb package.

Since 12.04 is older than 13.04 I used that. Maybe the instructions meant 13.04 or later, or 13.04 or newer. Older is a confusing way to put it.

However, I have the same problem as before.

cschmidt@cschmidt-dev:~/Downloads$ sudo gdebi bcompare-4.0.0.18847_i386.deb
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done

Beyond Compare 4
      Beyond Compare is a powerful time-saving utility for comparing files and
      folders.
      Use it to manage source code, keep folders in sync, compare program output,
      and validate copies of your data. Beyond Compare can create a snapshot of a
      live directory structure, and compare it against the live copy at a later
      date.
      Beyond Compare helps you analyze differences in detail and carefully reconcile
      them. It commands a wide range of file and text operations, as well as script
      commands for automating tasks.
      Do you want to install the software package? [y/N]:y
      (Reading database ... 187781 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking bcompare:i386 (from bcompare-4.0.0.18847_i386.deb) ...
      dpkg: error processing bcompare-4.0.0.18847_i386.deb (--install):
      trying to overwrite '/usr/share/pixmaps/bcomparefull32.png', which is also in package bcompare-bin:i386 3.3.8-0ubuntu1
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      bcompare-4.0.0.18847_i386.deb

Interstingly, I uninstalled BC3 first, and the '/usr/share/pixmaps/bcomparefull32.png file does not exist.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Ubuntu did their own repackaging for the version in the Ubuntu Software center, it isn't possible to update it with a package from our website. Sadly, Ubuntu stopped updating the version in Software Center, so we're considering removing it alltogether.

To upgrade, you'll first need to uninstall the version from Ubuntu Software Center using the terminal command:
        sudo dpkg -r bcompare bcompare-bin:i386 kde4-bcompare nautilus-bcompare thunar-bcompare

Once you've uninstalled, download Beyond Compare 4's installer from our website. If you've kept current with the Ubuntu 12.04 updates, then you can use the i386 installer.

To install, run the following terminal command:
        sudo gdebi bcompare-4.0.0.18847_i386.deb
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...