X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Llama
    New User
    • Apr 2021

BC4 not detecting changes on deeply nested folders

Is there a folder depth limit to BC4 picking up diffs?

Issue: I have a 6GB git repo that I clone/pull down and have been using BC4 to copy the diffs into a working build area. It has come to my attention that BC4 was missing some diffs and would only detect them when I change the folder compare to one several layers in (5 in my case). Once I do that BC4 does detect the diffs and allow me to copy them over.

Is this something by design, by config setting, or a defect?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

There shouldn't be a folder depth limit to BC picking up diffs.

Are you using default Beyond Compare settings, or have you customized settings? The default settings scan subfolder contents automatically, but it is possible to change that behavior so subfolder contents aren't compared until you double click to expand them.

To make sure BC is set to automatically compare subfolders:
    In the Folder Compare, click the Rules toolbar button (referee icon).
    Go to the Handling tab.
    Make sure Automatically scan subfolders in the background is checked.

If this setting is already checked or checking it doesn't resolve the problem, please email your Beyond Compare settings to [email protected] and we'll investigate. To save your settings to a zip file, open Help > Support, then click the Export button. Also include a link to this forum thread in your email.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Llama
      New User
      • Apr 2021

Email sent, thank you!

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Llama and I discussed this by email.

After reviewing Beyond Compare settings this issue might be due to filename filters. Llama's default Folder Compare session settings included several exclude name filters with .\ prefix, making them relative to the base folder. Changing the base folder to a subfolder will change the items a .\ prefix name filter matches on, a possible explanation for comparison results that change depending on base folder. Turning on View > Suppress Filters is also a good method to check for items hidden by filters.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...