• Jan 2021

BC4 not deleting folder on sync

I'm trying to sync this folder on my desktop (left):
    C:\Users\klim\Documents\horsekeeping.com\ceremonia l-home

to this folder on a thumb drive (right):
    G:\ceremonial-home

The folder trees are thus:

. . . ceremonial-home/pipes/drops

The desktop tree had an additional subfolder - drops/processed - containing photos that I have deleted, photos and all.

When syncing desktop to thumb drive the "processed" folder that was deleted from the desktop is not being deleted from the thumbdrive. I thought deleted folders from the left would automatically be deleted from the right when syncing. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere. How can I make this work?

• klimshelf
    Visitor
    • Jan 2021

Digging in the forum paid off. I discovered that selecting the folder ( "drops", in this instance) and right clicking and choosing "mirror to right" will delete the sublfolders and files from the right that were removed from the left. Nice.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, BC4 has two different Sync commands: Sync Update and Sync Mirror.

Sync Update will copy files with the status Newer and Orphan from the Source to the Destination.

Sync Mirror will copy files with the status Newer, Older, Orphan, "Different" (different size/content but equal timestamps, it's a weird state) from the Source to the Destination, and also Delete Orphans in the Destination. Basically, it only leaves alone already Equal status files.

It sounds like you want to use Mirror to delete Orphans in the Destination. Please note that BC4 does not know if the file was deleted in the source, only that it only exists in the destination. So newly created files in the destination would also be Orphans. Or if a file was renamed, they would both be Orphans.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...