Folder Compare - starting from scratch each time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Compare - starting from scratch each time

When comparing to -big- folders with many (I mean many) small files and sub folders, it takes a lllong time before Beyond Compare finishes.

The next time, comparing the same folders again, it starts from scratch taking again half an hour or more whereas maybe 80-90% is the same.

I am not an expert, but I wonder..
    (maybe in some future release) could data of the first comparison not be stored in some kind of Beyond Compare index or database or so?

So, if a 2nd comparison (same folders) is run, Beyond Compare checks the index, let's say similar like the MFT, so it will speed up the comparison?

Again, I am not an expert, I don't know if it is feasible at all.

Just a suggestion.

Hello,

But that requires some form of comparison, which requires loading and visiting all sub-items (compared to many other explorer utilities, which only build the current level as that is all they need to show during navigation). You can control the automation of the scanning in the Session Settings, Handling tab, and choose to only build/scan as you visit into items, but you will have to expand or compare them in order to get a comparison color represented.

Using only quicker scans (timestamp/size) also makes the comparison step faster.

This is a difference between a Refresh and Full Refresh, but this leverages that the initial comparison was already built and loaded into memory, which is required if you close and re-open the window.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The 'comparison' is that the folder compare has been run before: the data from that comparison would then be saved into into some index file, or data file, or whatever. When Beyond Compare runs the folder compare a 2nd time, it would then check if it has performed such comparison before and if so, load the data and see what has been changed compared to the loaded data(?)
      I don't know, it is just a very, very rough idea.
      I was thinking of this when comparing big folders and Beyond Compare running for quite a while.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-13012021 104404.png
Views:	61
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	84997

These are my settings, I would not know how to improve them. These are default settings I guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-14012021 105322.png
Views:	49
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	84998

Comment

This isn't feasible. If you want a comparison of the current state of each folder, then Beyond Compare has to scan the contents of each folder, it can't use information from a previous comparison.

The Beyond Compare settings in your screen shots are already set for maximum speed.

A few things that might improve performance:

1) If one or both sides are network locations, use wired rather than wireless networking.

2) Exclude Beyond Compare's process, bcompare.exe, from antivirus scanning.

3) If there are subfolders of the comparison that don't change, right click on them and select Exclude so they are not scanned/compared.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X