Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing PDF Files embedded in RTF files

Hello,
    Long time since my last post, might be 10 or 15 years! I'm probably being ambitious expecting a solution to my problem, but its worth a shot.

I have some high resolution PDF files embedded in RTF documents that I can extract from an archive. I need to compare the images in the PDF documents to each other. I can manage to extract the PDFs from the RTF manually, but I want a tool to be able to do this automatically. Ideally I want to pass Beyond compare 2 RTF files and end up with a comparison of two PNG files in Beyond Compares Picture Compare mode. I've figured out how to get a png file from a pdf file but I can't get a pdf from an RTF document.I'm only interested in the PDF document in the RTF. I'm not interested in comparing anything else in the RTF file.

Any pointers appreciated!

Cheers
    Richard

Hello,

BC4 doesn't have this kind of extraction internally, but can run a File Format conversion on any input and present a file as an output. What manual process were you using, and can it be contained in a script (such as a .bat file) that takes in an input .rtf and presents an output temp.png?

We have a KB article on the subject here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion

It uses the Text Compare and RESX conversion as the example, but the Picture Format can also take an input/output similarly.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the tip Aaron. That is a nice example. Just wish I had a clue how to extract a PDF file from a RTF file automatically. Manually, you can just double click on the pdf in the RTF file and do a Save As, but there is no API/ type library for Adobe Acrobat that I have available to me to do that programmatically. I can get at the encoded RTF text, there is just some magic conversion going on I can't see or get a hook into it. I was thinking I could maybe use a print to pdf operation, but that doesn't want to use an RTF.

The problem is around changing the Embedded OLE PDF headers to standalone PDF headers some how. I need RTF -> PDF -> PNG
      If I could work that out I could write a similar program to the one referenced
      Cheers
      Richard

Comment

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the particulars of extracting that file type from within the RTF, but if you are familiar with any command line process to get from one to the next, we can plug it in.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X