Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I take contents both files into target in 3-way merge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I take contents both files into target in 3-way merge?

I'm sure this is a really dumb question but I can't figure it out using the BC4 interface and don't seem to be able to get an answer online. I am launching BC4 from a Git GUI and I get the normal 4-pane view (left, right and base at the top, and the target at the bottom).

I want the changes from the left file followed by the changes from the right file to be saved into the target file. How do I do this?

No matter what I press, I seem to get either left or right, never both. Even if I tick Rules | Never align changes I can't get what I want.

I did somehow accidentally manage to get both sets of changes in my target but now I find my target file has a .orig extension and this file contains the Git <<<< and >>>> markers.

BC4 is such a good tool that I know there must be a right answer to this.

What am I doing wrong?

I believe you are looking for the Edit menu -> Take Left then Right command.

If needed, you can also customize what a section is (grouped or individual lines) to help, or drag select in the gutter to form a selected section.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      I believe you are looking for the Edit menu -> Take Left then Right command.

If needed, you can also customize what a section is (grouped or individual lines) to help, or drag select in the gutter to form a selected section.
      The Take Left the Right is good. And manually aligning lines seems to help a lot. Thank you!

I think I need to play with drag-select to see exactly how that's working.

I like the sound of making a section into one line only but can't figure out how to do this. Which menu is it in?

- Patrick

Comment

Two potential settings:
        Tools menu -> File Formats, select your specific format you are working with, and in the Misc tab you can set "Lines are independent".

For a Merge conflict, in the Text Merge's Session menu -> Session Settings, Alignment tab, set A merge conflict is: Only different change lines (or update the separated number count).

Generally, Difference Sections help with most code merging. If you need to temporarily override a Difference Section, clicking into the gutter area or dragging a selection of 2+ lines will override the section and present a Selection gutter arrow. This allows quick manual selection without disabling the concept of Difference Sections, on a case-by-case basis.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X