File Format for Table Compare with varying key columns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Format for Table Compare with varying key columns

I am using BC4 and regularly have to compare large folders of files - pdfs, text files, csvs & excels, I have set up specific file formats for each of my Text files and this works great, however there is variation between what columns are key\important\unimportant in my excels and csvs and I am unable to specify this in the File Format dialogue, can it be done somehow?

BTW I am familiar with scripting BC4 but it doesnt quite suit this particular scenario so I'd rather not go down that route if possible

Hello,

Would it be a specific column needs to align with a different column position?

This can be done manually in the interface, in the Table Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns tab. Here you can select a cell that represents the Left (or Right) column, and Move it Up/Down with yellow move arrows. Once the columns are reordered/aligned left to right, click Ok and return to the main window.

As a Session Setting, this isn't stored with the format, but is per Session (bookmark). Or you can update the global defaults to use this new ordering for all future Table Compare comparisons.

How does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

No you misunderstand, say I have 10 csv files where half of them have key columns colA, colB & colC, and the other half have key columns colD & colE, how can I set up my folder compare so that when I run a rules based comparison it applies those key columns independently depending on what file names they have?

Comment

Hello,

From BC4's Folder Compare, you can click into one file, update the Session Defaults, then in the Session Settings dialog update from "Use only for this view" to "Use for all files in parent session" (to cover half).

Then click into the other file(s) one at a time, perform the same steps, but set to "Use for these files in parent session".

Save the parent Folder Compare session to then save how each CSV file defines keys in their own comparison.

There isn't an easy way to define the keys for a group of files; it is either all files in the parent session or individually.
        One workaround: you could have two sessions: one for one half and one for the other half, using Name Filters to divide the sessions into their groups. Then each session can "use for all files in parent session".
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X