Finding next diff from left or right when merging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding next diff from left or right when merging

I often find myself in a situation where I have lots of changes come in from one side of a merge, but what I really care about is how that interacts with the other side of the merge. In many cases Beyond Compare does a fantastic job correctly interpreting what happened and not having conflicts (which I love), but it means I cannot skip ahead to these cases with the "Next Conflict" option.

Here's an example of what I might see:
    Left Base Right
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    H
    I
    J
    K
    L
    M

O

Q
    R
    S
    T
    A
    B

D

F

H

J

L
    M

O

Q
    R

T
    A
    B

D

F

H

J

L
    M
    N
    O
    P
    Q
    R

T

In this case, there are no conflicts, which is great. I want a way to quickly skip ahead to the N and P lines. The reason I want to do this is because I know the Left side is the preferred version of the file that I want to accept, but the Right side might have some additional junk in it that I also need to look at (in this case lines N and P). When using "Next Difference" I have to go through the C, E, G, I, and K lines first.

Is there now, or can I have, an option to go to "Next Difference from Left" or "Next Difference from Right"? That would help me quickly narrow in on these cases.

Hello,

And now that I hit this other forum thread, I believe Favor Right and Favor Left (toggles in the View menu) are what you are looking for here. Once enabled, the selected side loses its coloring and allows you to 'skip' over them as an accepted change. How does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Since it was not in the Toolbar, I never even noticed this was an option. I've only tried it for a few minutes now, but so far yes it seems like this works quite well! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X