Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare over time

Hi all,

I need some tool that allows me to compare folders over time. I mean that files on the left and right side can be changed and I need to review only new changes.

I see this process as follows:
    1. On initial step I review all files change by change and
      1. move some changes from right to left (so this palace in the files becomes same)
      2. mark some changes as reviewed with some tag/comments (this place is still different)
    2. After some time I come back to compare (the content of some files are changed) and the system/tool shows me the only new (not marked) difference.
    The marked differences are possible to review and unmark, merge or left as is.

Is it possible to do with Beyond Compare? Or, maybe somebody may suggest another tool?

Best,
    Stas

Hello,

It sounds a bit like you would need to use the Folder Merge session, which accepts 3 inputs: Left, Right, and Common Ancestor. But this assumes you only need to track the changes for one side or the other, and not both changing. It would also assume that, after resolving a workflow, you save a full copy off to a third location that is unchanging, so you can use it as the new common ancestor next time.

Alternatively, it may work to use the Folder Compare if you compare a folder against a snapshot of its earlier self. We have a guide for generating this style of snapshot here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...=kb_sneakernet
    After comparing a folder to an earlier snapshot, you can select the different files and copy them to a third location using Copy To Folder. This target wouldn't be a comparable pane, however, as the Folder Compare only supports two folders (the source and the older snapshot of the source). You could copy this selection to a third location, then compare this to a 4th folder in a new Folder Compare tab, as two new base folders to compare.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for suggestions. I will try to check the folder merge but I am feeling that it is not what I exactly need.

I am thinking about some kind of notes/tags for change "sections" (a single difference between two files). For example, another case is a huge compare. Imagine that I should compare tens of files and can't do it in a single day (session). So I start the job and go from section to section, some sections are resolved, some sections I want to leave as is (different), but some sections I want to resolve later. Anyway, I can't do all the decisions in the single sessions so another day I continue to compare but I have not information that section I decide to leave as is and that section I decide resolve later. I even have not information on what section I already have reviewed.

With section tagging, I can mark the sections as "reviewed", "check later" etc. So even If I come back to the work in a few days I will have the track of my previous compare session.

If such functionality is not available in the current version, maybe you can implement it in future versions if you find it useful.

Stas.

Comment

Hi,

I found the topic on the forum that describes a similar functionality: https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...mments-to-diff

Maybe it is time to add new functionality.

Best,
        Stas

Comment

Ah, I see, and yes, the ability to package or resume is something on our wishlist, but isn't supported in the current version. The Folder Merge and Text Merge load, and run the comparison/merge logic on the session as it loads. For the Folder Merge, this does include scanning the Output directory, and if it already matches it is marked as complete. Any not yet complete would be available for another review pass and merging.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions.

Back to the comment/tag feature and your wishlist. Is there someplace to see it (wishlist)? To have some imagination about Beyond Compare roadmap?

Best,
            Stas

Comment

BC4's wishlist is integrated into our tracker, and contains private customer examples, etc, so it is not public.

We also generally avoid roadmaps, and instead go for prolonged early betas. This way features are more cemented before we're able to show them off, which leads to less disappointment if something isn't able to make it in, and avoids people making purchasing decisions on possible future features that might get cut.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X