I can no longer see the menu entry "Check for Updates".

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodolfoGiovanninetti
    Veteran
    • Oct 2007

I can no longer see the menu entry "Check for Updates".

I found an issue with PDF2Text ("https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbulletin/forum/beyond-compare-4-discussion/general/82922-b-c-4-3-4-pdftotext-exe-does-not-work-with-xp-2003").
    While I was trying to solve it or at least to find a work-around, I did some mistakes.
    For example, I started the .msi version and then interrupted it.
    Anyway, now in the Help menu I cannot see the entry "Check for Updates" (I put here a screen-shot).
    I tried to fix it by re-installing B.C. 4.3.4, then 4.3.3 and then 4.3.4, by rebooting my laptop, but without any result.
    Please, can You help me with this small issue?
    Is there a registry entry to add/change/delete, or anything else?

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you Uninstall BC4 fully, reboot your machine, then reinstall with the setup.exe, it should restore the Check for Updates behavior. The MSI installer does disable this purposefully, to incorporate with msi installer script.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

If you Uninstall BC4 fully, reboot your machine, then reinstall with the setup.exe, it should restore the Check for Updates behavior. The MSI installer does disable this purposefully, to incorporate with msi installer script.
      I did these steps, but still I cannot see the menu entry "Check for Updates".
      After that, I tried to install 4.3.3, to see if at least in the "Help" > "About Beyond Compare" it said that there was a new version.
      But there is not such a message.
      Now that I have installed again 4.3.4, is there anything that I can do to restore those menu entries?
      I am not sure to understand what is the reason behind this choice (no flame intended, I am just curious).
      Are there other features that I may have removed with the .msi setup?

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
        Veteran
        • Oct 2007

I did a portable setup on another Windows 32 machine, and then compared the two folders.
        Files that exist inside both folders are equals, so there must be something in the registry or in the configuration files.
        But I did not dare to change anything.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
          Veteran
          • Oct 2007

I found it (at least in part)!
          Using the tool Orca I opened the .msi file and saw that there was a registry in a place where I had not looked for.
          It seems to be a generic key, not one for B.C. 4 exactly.
          So, I modified the key from 1 to 0, and now the menu entry is again there!
          But, when I run it, it appears an error, that I attach here.
          Below I copy the registry file that I used.
          I do not know why, but I cannot simply do a copy and past of the text that is inside it, because if I do this it overwrites my message.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Click image for larger version

Name:	Errore02.PNG
Views:	205
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	82954

Attached Files

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
            Veteran
            • Oct 2007

I installed 4.3.3 (it says upgrade instead of downgrade but it is a very very small issue).
            With 4.3.3 in the "Help" > "About Beyond Compare" it says that there is a new version.
            From there, or from "Help" > "Check for Updates" I can upgrade to 4.3.4, but with 4.3.4 there is again the error message when I do "Help" > "Check for Updates".

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for pointing that out. We'll probably have to remove Check for Updates for XP, 2003, and Vista systems. As security needs increase, we have to update our website to TLS 1.2, while older Windows OS's only support TLS 1.0. This is also applies to the application, as we switch the Check for Updates behavior from plain http to https. To get updates on an older version of Windows, you'll have to manually download the update. I would also caution taking the older machine offline, as XP is no longer receiving security updates and by remaining online it is vulnerable to a variety of attack vectors.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...