X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahu
    Visitor
    • Feb 2020

Slow performance when copy/pasting large text into the BC window

Please can you look into the performance of performing a copy/paste of a large block of text from Notepad++ into an empty Beyond Compare editor window?

I often do this action with small pieces of text, but when trying it with a large amount of text I immediately regret it, because it can literally take many minutes depending on how much text is involved.
    And there's no way to cancel the operation other than End Process, which would affect my other tabs.

If the same text is saved to a file from Notepad++ and then I open that file in a new instance of BC, it opens almost immediately.
    I think pasting text into an empty window should take the same time as opening a new file containing the same text.
    (of course the actual compare operation between 2 large blocks of text might take a long time, I have no issue with that)
    • Open a new instance of Beyond Compare
    • Click Session -> New Session -> Text Compare
    • Paste the filename of the test.txt file into the filename bar and press Enter
    • For me the file is loaded immediately, the status bar shows "Load time: 1.95 seconds".
    • Now close the tab
    • Session -> New Session -> Text Compare
    • In Notepad++ select all (my test.txt file has 10,745,181 characters in 88707 lines) and press Ctrl+C
    • Click in the left window of the empty BC text editor and press Ctrl+V
    • For me this takes 4min 31sec.

I see the same behaviour when pasting from Notepad instead of Notepad++ (I checked in case it was a Notepad++ issue).

Attached test.zip containing test.txt - it's a 10MB XML file that I've redacted by changing all alpha characters to 'x' and all digits to '0'.

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. A regular paste does have some performance issues with how it pastes into the comparison. Improving this is something on our radar. For performance similar to an Open, if use the Open Clipboard command (Ctrl+Shift+V), which opens the clipboard as a file (instead of at cursor position), which opens much more quickly.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ahu
      Visitor
      • Feb 2020

Thanks Aaron, Ctrl+Shift+V does the job!

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Great. And just to clarify, that's the hotkey shortcut for the File menu -> Open Clipboard command. It isn't quite a Paste, since it "opens" the clipboard into the pane, removing what was already there, and not pasting at the cursor position.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...