Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mirror with compression audio files HDD1 from *.AIFF --> audio files HDD2 *.FLAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror with compression audio files HDD1 from *.AIFF --> audio files HDD2 *.FLAC

Hi guys! I really need you help with this one.

I have BC4 for MAC and i want to make a full backup of my Music HDD. This HDD contain music in *.aiff, *.wav, *.mp3 & *.flac.
    I want to mirror the whole Music HDD to my Backup HDD but i want to convert the .*aiff / .*wav to FLAC in order to compress my collection in this backup HDD.

Is this achievable?

Hello,

Not during the transfer process with BC4. BC4's Copy or Sync methods copy the file as-is (which also helps with verification and comparison later). If you need to convert audio formats, you would need an application specific to that conversion process.

BC4 can copy/create .zip archive files, if that compression process would work for you. Instead of two base folders, one of the targets can be a .zip location.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I’d consider doing the conversion to the new destination first, then create a filter to exclude the old files when you create the final backup.
      VLC has a great conversion utility. You can set a separate destination with it.
      Ive not done this specific task, but it seems like, “it just might work”

Comment

Another approach is to make BC4 make the sync/comparison without taking in consideration the extensions (*aiif, *wav on the left side -> *flac to the right side). What do you think? Is that possible? and how?

Originally posted by Nellipalooza View Post
        I’d consider doing the conversion to the new destination first, then create a filter to exclude the old files when you create the final backup.
        VLC has a great conversion utility. You can set a separate destination with it.
        Ive not done this specific task, but it seems like, “it just might work”
        Thanks for replying but i really didn't understand the first part .

Comment

Hello,

BC4 can ignore file extensions, and align files by just the name before the extension, but the copy process would then overwrite the destination with the source file in the source file's format; it wouldn't convert to the destination side's format even if it keeps the destination naming extension. This works well for text format files (which are all text data), but isn't intended for binary files.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Can you tell me how do i make BC4 ignore file extensions please?
            I just want to mirror the new/modified files to the destination. and later i will convert the files to FLAC.

Comment

Reading this message, I tried experimenting with a batch file in Windows, to be used with the "Open With" feature.
              My idea was this.
              I start a folder comparison, for example on the left the origin folder, and on the right the backup folder.
              Then I select a file on the left, and choose Open With ConversionBatchFile.
              Inside this batch file calls a conversion program, specifying the filename, the source directory, the target folder, and so on.
              I noticed that if I select two files, both %f1 and %f2 parameters (and other parameters) are both populated.
              Whereas if I select only one file, only %f1 is populated, %f2 is not.
              Or its vice-versa, I don't know.
              Anyway, it might be a good idea tho have some parameters that are populated anyway, so that the batch file can know what is its target folder.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Hello,

Is this to align files with different file extensions? This is controlled in the Session Settings, Comparison tab, Align filenames with different extensions.

Once aligned, a sync will then overwrite the file in the destination if the sync logic is configured to replace it. However, the destination side does preserve its extension in this scenario, retaining the original extension of the destination side.

To keep the source side extension, you may want to use a combination of display filters, selection command, and the Copy To Folder command (with preserve base folder structure or relative folder structure) and target the destination side to copy the file into the destination (But not overwriting the destination, other extension version).
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                X