Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLS XLSX etc. comparison without MicroSoft Office Installation

Dear Sir/Madam,

Recently, I tested Beyond Compare on a computer which did not have MicroSoft Office installation.
    The computer did have LibreOffice installed.
    and found that BC requires "Microsoft Excel 97 or newer" installation for comparisons to work on XLS XLSX etc. files.

I understand, XLS XLSX etc. formats have been placed in public domain.
    Will appreciate it very much if you please guide if we can have a Beyond Compare that does NOT require Microsoft Excel 97 or newer for comparisons to work on XLS, XLSX etc files

With Regards

Sanjiv Bansal

Beyond Compare 4 doesn't require Microsoft Office to compare Microsoft Excel XLS and XLSX files.

Beyond Compare 3 requires Microsoft Office to compare Excel XLS and XLSX files. If you have an older version of Beyond Compare but don't have Microsoft Office, a workaround is to open the XLS or XLSX files in LibreOffice, Save As type CSV, then compare the CSV files in Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Note the default Beyond Compare 4 file format for Excel comparison in the Table Compare doesn't require Microsoft Excel be installed.

If you've installed Excel file formats for version 4 from the Additional File Formats page, those still require Microsoft Excel.

Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you very much for your guidance.
        Yes, I had exported sessions from another machine, which had Excel as well as Additional formats.
        Now, I increased the Priority of Default format, and it is working. Thank you again for the nice software.

You wrote: "If you've installed Excel file formats for version 4 from the Additional File Formats page, those still require Microsoft Excel."
        May we expect that someday these additional formats will also not need MS Excel to work?

with regards

Sanjiv Bansal
        Last edited by sumangalam; 30-Oct-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

The additional downloaded formats specifically do require Excel (and will have those requirements shown in the Notes). They specifically use the Excel program for the conversion process.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X