Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Compare Characters Per Line Limit Exceeded

Hi Forum,

I am comparing two pipe-delimited text files of about 75 MB and 200,000 lines each. I get the error message "Characters Per Line Limit Exceeded." Is there a way to find which lines are causing this error?

Using BC 4.2.10 64-bit, which is a great product, on Windows 8.1, which is not.

Thanks, Dan

Hello,

No, the Table Compare does not indicate which row the error occurred on, but it would be a line with over 65536 characters, which is the upper limit the table compare supports. Increasing this limit and improving the error message are things on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the info. This is strange. I cannot find a line with over 600 characters in it. Could something to do with expanding it to compare like a fixed width table be blowing the apparent line length up over 65K? I've tried to look for mangled line endings like a CR without a LF but can't find any. Is there a way in the Text Compare to look for line ending errors?

Comment

Hello,

There is probably an unterminated Text Qualifier (") that is then swallowing the following line terminators.

If you load into the Text Compare and define a grammar to match on String, delimited from " to ". Then if you compare the file with that custom format on the Left against the same file using a different file format (default), the difference in grammar element will be found as a difference, even if the text itself is the same, such as
        "string"
        vs
        string

To define a grammar element, you can follow this KB article and video guide:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X