'Diff' and 'Minor' buttons not working together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Diff' and 'Minor' buttons not working together

Or, 'Show Differences' and 'Ignore unimportant differences' not working together

I have these three buttons "on":
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Three-buttons.PNG Views:	0 Size:	15.6 KB ID:	80970
    BC shows folder and files that have only insignificant differences. Why? I am telling it not to. Here is one before I interact with it, showing red, for a significant difference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pic2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	12.6 KB ID:	80971
    I open it to see this supposed significant difference.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	pic3.PNG Views:	0 Size:	4.9 KB ID:	80972
    None. The joke is on me.

I close the tab.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	pic4.PNG Views:	0 Size:	10.3 KB ID:	80973

No longer red. Good job, BC. Ugh.

With the combination of buttons I chose, the parent folder and the file should not even show. More and more BC gets the simplest things wrong. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I believe that You have to set options so that the comparison is rule based, and so that the files are automatically opened.
    Otherwise, in the folder comparison BC sees the files as different based on their sizes.
    Once You open them, it sees that there are only minor differences.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Thanks, but what is the point of showing me those buttons if there is no visible difference between having 'Minor' on or off?

Here are the settings I've been using all along:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	p5.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	80976

Comment

So, in the 4 hours and counting with no real help, I'll use my time wisely.

https://www.slant.co/options/4394/al...e-alternatives

https://alternativeto.net/software/beyond-compare/

https://alternative.me/beyond-compare

Comment

We try to offer support within a day (during office hours), and are available on the forum, email, or directly by phone.
          https://www.scootersoftware.com/index.php?zz=contact

Your settings and workflow are correct. Setting a Rules-based scan should populate the center column between all files (not folders) as the session initially loads automatically, without needing to double click each file. One clue I see in the snippet of screenshots, however, is a yellow folder. The Session Settings, Handling tab (not pictured) includes settings that control what is scanned on load. By default, it would scan all aligned items and assign them a color, but if this option has been disabled then the scanning isn't performed until manually expanded or files are visited. We would also need to verify the default Text Compare Session Settings (not pictured) to know how the Rules-based scan is running.

It would be best to email in your current settings configuration (Help menu -> Support dialog; Export), with which we can reproduce your environment. Including a pair of "uSync Content" files would also help with any testing we would have to do, as that is also an additional user configuration. You can email us at support@scootersoftware.com including the BCSupport.zip, sample files, and a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Aaron.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic6.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	80986
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, that should be populating the center column automatically. However, we'd still need to see your Text Compare defaults and the uSync file format settings. Please send in the BCSupport.zip and we can recreate your environment to reproduce this behavior (including a pair of sample files and a link back to this forum thread in the email so we can link the email to the information in here).
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X