Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small file comparison loading forever

Hello,

When trying to compare two small files, the loading bar in the bottom left stays loading forever. The corresponding process in task manager is using 25% of CPU (I have 4 cores, so I guess 1 full core) and ~12,688 K for Memory. This issue is reproducible but only for these 2 files specifically, never had this issue with other files. Also I am still able to click buttons and use the interface so it is not frozen, just that the comparison never 'finishes' because it seems to keep loading the files infinitely. Also if I close this comparison and compare any other files it behaves normal.

I have attached both files in Comp.zip

Have also attached BCSupport.zip

Using Beyond Compare 4 Version 4.2.9 (build 23626) 64-bit on Windows 7

Click image for larger version  Name:	SS.png Views:	3 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	80924
    Attached Files
    Last edited by makhdoom; 26-Jun-2019, 02:43 PM. Reason: Attaching BCSupport.zip

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I'm not seeing the same behavior on my system, but please email in to support@scootersoftware.com with your BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support dialog; Export) and we can replicate with your settings. Also, please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for the reply Aaron! I am not able to send the BCSupport.zip in the email as it is on my work computer however I have edited the original post and attached it there.

Comment

Thanks! The key was Patience Diff set in the Session Settings, Alignment tab. If set to Standard, you can workaround this issue for this specific file set. I've added these sample files to our bug tracker entry on the subject.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Oh wow, thanks Aaron! Is there any workaround I can use other than not using Patience Diff? For example do you think there may be any issue with the files themselves?

Also, is there anyway I can track the status of this bug?

Comment

There are specific patterns of files that patience diff stumbles over. For this specific pair, if you remove the orphan line on the left (deleted), then it works ok, too. There isn't another workaround other than switch the algorithm or editing the files.

Our tracker entry is not public, since our developers reference it directly with their own notes and it can include private information from other users. This issue is pretty easy to reproduce, so we don't need too much assistance; more that we just need the spare resources to tackle it vs. other bugs and features we're currently working on.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X