Wishlist from an old Examdiff user migrating to beyond compare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishlist from an old Examdiff user migrating to beyond compare

Since Windows10 is unacceptable for me and I use xubuntu on work and at home for a long time aside from Win7, I'd like to migrate from ExamDiff (which was my favorite tool for a long time, even on linux/wine) to beyond compare.

Now while testing I found some features from ExamDiff, which I really miss on beyond compare:
    • In folder compare: "Open containing folder" on any Item.
      This should open the configured file browser on the folder of the file. (Best, if also working on sftp folders, but this is a nice to have)
    • In file compare: ExamDiff has a shortcut/button to toggle to binary hex comparison ignoring all file type assignments.
      Similar to "Compare files using hex compare" in bcompare, but I did not manage to make it appear in the toolbar.
    • In file compare: ExamDiff has a shortcut/button to disable/enable all plugins (for bcompare this would say "file type assignments")
      This would allow to toggle between "conversion" and "no conversion" without the need to disable the "file type assignment" temporary.
    • In file compare: ExamDiff has a shortcut/button to compare containing folders.
      Similar to "Compare Parent Folder" in bcompare, but I did not manage to make it appear in the toolbar.
    NOTE: I'm still exploring bcompare, maybe I missed the feature and it's already there. Then please make a pointer for me.

Regards

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to help address each of these or note them in our customer wishlist:
    • This can be defined as an Open With command, depending on your file browser and options. We have a few examples here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...kb_openwithapp
    • The "Compare Files Using -> Hex Compare" command is not available on the toolbar, but you can assign a hotkey in the Tools menu -> Options, Toolbars/Etc tab, Select View: Text Compare, then search and assign hotkeys to commands as needed, or add to the toolbar if supported. The Text Compare also has a View menu -> Hex Details, which shows the hex details of just the current line in the Line Details area at the bottom of the screen.
    • The File Format toolbar button at the top, when clicked, would show the current format and configuration. The small dropdown arrow next to this button would let you swap formats. Swap to "Everything Else" to pick the format with no conversions or grammars defined. You can also create custom formats or secondary formats in the Tools menu -> File Formats list. The topmost format associated with a file extension is used automatically, while the others can be picked manually from the dropdown. Also, in the top status bar of each pane, BC4 shows the text of the File Format name; this is also a button that allows selecting a specific format per side.
    • Compare Parent Folders sounds like the closest command, but it does not support a toolbar button. You can assign a hotkey, similar to the Compare Files Using Hex Compare steps above.
    It is on our wishlist to expand our toolbar customization support, and I'll add your examples to our notes on the subject. How do the other recommendations work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X