• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kademlia
    New User
    • Apr 2019

Feature: File highlighting based on string/regex existance within file

Hey,

I use BC4 a lot to compare sourcecode of different versions. These files contain fixes I will have to keep between versions.
    I need to go trough hundreds of files every time an most of them will have some changes but only a bunch will have changes i need to actively merge and not just copy. Currently BC4 cannot help me here as far as I know. What I do is I open WinRAR for the folder and search my term and have a list of files that way I need to take special care of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	normalBC4.png
Views:	185
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	80545

But this would be obviously better within BC4 and I think would be a great feature in general:

Allow to search for a string/regex within all files and mark the files containing the term. Here is an example of the highlighting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	highBC4.png
Views:	81
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	80546

This would allow to find specific changes in large amounts of files that one cares about.
    The functionality would pretty much follow the highlighting abilities of Notepad++ (Give specific string different colors/style tokens)

If anything is unclear please let me know.

Thanks!
    Kademlia
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you use the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Other Filters tab and Exclude Files -> Not Containing -> text string, is this the behavior you are looking for to filter showing only files that contain the text string?

The Tools menu -> Text Edit tool also has a Search, Find in Files function.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Kademlia
      New User
      • Apr 2019

Hey,

the contains filter menu in the session settings is pretty much exactly what I was not able to find.

thank you very much!
      Kademlia

Comment

Working...