"Privileged Instruction" when executing uninstaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Privileged Instruction" when executing uninstaller

I attempted to uninstall the latest BC 4 (4.2.9.23626) from a machine running Windows 7.

During uninstallation, a window popped up that said "Privileged Instruction."

Looks like it uninstalled properly, but I have no idea why that happened or if the uninstall process was fully successful.

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Was there any other information on the dialog box? Was BC4 fully shut down and you were running the Uninstaller program? Is your install of Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

The one location BC4 will clean up files are in your install directory (C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4\ by default). After an uninstall, we leave your settings files in your user's %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\ directory, since they take up almost no file space and help with the upgrade process. Our registry settings are in HKEY_Current_User\Software\Scooter Software. If the install folder is empty, then you are probably ok. I would leave the registry alone, unless you are very comfortable editing the registry, since it can effect your entire system, and any settings BC4 might have left in the registry would not effect other programs.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

64-bit Windows 7

AFAIK, BC4 was shut down unless there were background processes running.

I'll check the system when I get home. I checked the registry and the keys were there but mostly empty.

The error itself had no additional information, it just cropped up during the uninstall process.

I can't remember if it was a brief pop-up or if I had to dismiss it. The uninstall did not bail out though, it appeared to continue and complete.

I could not find any files remaining on the file system in the installation directory.

I put this up to hopefully get an idea of what the uninstaller's post-conditions are (what it removes) and inform you guys in case your installers files have been tampered with. I scanned the installer prior to installation and it was signed by your certificate.

Comment

We haven't had other recent reports of this error, and searching our history, I've only found one other instance on Windows way back in 2002. With a little research, it may be that the binary on your system could be corrupted. Or perhaps another process is inserting itself into the run, like an antivirus that is actively scanning?

If you would like to help troubleshoot, would you have the time to reinstall, then re-uninstall to see if it reproduces on your system?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X