X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tracker
    Journeyman
    • Nov 2011

Need to copy files and folders but exclude rar and zip files

I want to backup a folder containing 650G of folders and files to another hard drive.
    A large percentage of the source material (30-40%) consists of rar and zip files which I don't need to copy.
    How to exclude the rars and zips from the copy process?
    Thanks.
  • RodolfoGiovanninetti
    Veteran
    • Oct 2007

You can exclude "*.rar" and "*.zip" files.
    Also You might want to remove these from archives types, it depends on what You want to do.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RodolfoGiovanninetti; 02-Apr-2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

As Rodolfo suggestions, you'll likely best be served by a Name Filter, which you can type directly into the Filters toolbar, or navigate to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Name Filters tab, and type the mask into the Exclude Files section. You can also select a file or files, right click, and select to Exclude. If selecting two or more of a specific extension, the dialog prompt will ask if you want to exclude all of that extension.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• tracker
        Journeyman
        • Nov 2011

Thanks, guys, that worked.
        Cheers :-)

Comment

• Critcho
          Journeyman
          • Jul 2017

I must have missed something, as it appears that the filters only work if you're selecting all the files in a folder, it doesn't work by selecting a folder and subfolders? I have event photos, shot in both RAW and JPG. The photos are already sorted into sub-folders by act. I wanted to make a copy to distribute, containing only the JPG files; the RAW files are over 4 times the size of the JPG, and the customer won't use them anyway. My filter is "*.jpg; -*.cr2" (corrected after the screenshot, but behaves the same); but the cr2 files are being copied also.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	90
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	91394
          Thanks for your help!

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
            Veteran
            • Oct 2007

I confirm that if You select Peek/Suppress Filters, then when You copy it does handle all files.
            At least in my case, there is no difference if I select all files in a folder, or if I select a folder and subfolders.
            If I do not use Peek, when I copy a folder it asks if I want to copy also hidden items, so I can say no and copy only *.jpg files.
            And, I do not know if it is important, if I filter "*.jpg" there is no need to exclude "*.cr2" files.
            regards
            Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Like Rodolfo mentions, you have the Peek toggle enabled on your toolbar (aka View menu -> Suppress Filters).

If this is enabled, then any filtered items (Display Filters, Name Filters, Other Filters) will show up as a teal coloring. If visible like this, they do get included in any commands, since the filters are 'suppressed'.

You can disable the toggle, which should remove them from view. If you perform a selection that could include them, you'll see an extra option in the Copy dialog to 'include hidden items' with a peek button to see what they are. You'd want to make sure this is disabled.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Critcho
                Journeyman
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
                'include hidden items'
                Hi Aaron, it looks like this was the key. I'd set Copy settings to not require acknowledgement, and to include hidden files - I (mistakenly) assumed that "hidden files" meant system files, not files hidden by the filter. I've used Synchronise To Right, which required acknowledgement, and unchecked hidden files - only the JPGs were copied.
                Thanks for your help.
                Cheers.

Comment

Working...