Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to find file format helpers when importing Word VBA new file format

Hello,

This is probably Windows specific, but I didn't see a Windows channel.

I just installed BC4 (first time trialling it) and I wanted to install the extra file format "Microsoft Word documents VBA".

When importing, I get this error: Unable to find file format helpers: "Helpers\DOC_to_VBA.vbs".

Of course I couldn't find the VBS anywhere on the disk (and there is no Helpers folder anywhere either - not in Program Files and not in the folder under the user Roaming location).

Is this a known issue? Is there a solution for it?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Ozana

Hello,

What file were you importing from? If you download the latest version of the format from our website, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

This .bcpkg is a renamed .zip. If you explore inside, it should have the Helpers\ directory with .vbs, and the .xml settings file. Importing should import both. For a normal install, this would create a Helpers directory in your %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\ directory. For a Portable Install, it would be in the Install directory.

If you are importing from a BCSupport.zip, these don't include the conversion programs, which would explain why it is missing. The Tools menu -> Export wizard creates a BCSettings.bcpkg, which does include any conversion programs.

If you've accidentally created a Portable Install into Program Files (write protected by Windows), you'd want to rename the BCState.xml within the install directory to BCState.xml.backup1 (or something similar) to revert that install to a regular install that uses AppData. The location of the BCState.xml determines the install type: if it is created in the install directory, that directory becomes a portable install.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

I downloaded from this link: https://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=moreformats&version=4&plat form=Windows

I got an error at import, as you can see in the attached picture.

I found the .bcpkg file in %AppData%\Local\Temp and renamed it as .zip. It did have the Helpers\DOC_to_VBA.vbs file inside, so I copied that in the proper place (%AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\) and also copied the xml information to BCFileFormats.xml.

I tested the VBA comparison and it works, so the problem is somewhere when trying to import, although the vbs file is available.

Note that the global BCFileFormats.xml already had some information for the "MS Word Documents VBA" format, maybe from previous attempts to install, but not everything. I attached my new BCFileFormats.xml (zipped, as I was not allowed to upload xml), you can see the commented out <TTextFormat Value="MS Word Documents VBA"> node, followed by the one I copied manually from the xml found in the .bcpkg file. I hope that makes sense :-)

Thank you.

Best regards,
      Ozana

Attached Files

Comment

Are you running the latest BC 4.2.9 release? All 4.x updates are free for 4.x users. If it is all working you could leave as is, but if you would like to troubleshoot the import I would suggest backing everything up using the Tools menu -> Export wizard, then use the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog to delete the VBA format (or formats if two). Fully close BC4, then attempt to relaunch and reimport the single downloaded bcpkg.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X