Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to sync file names of alligned files ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sync file names of alligned files ?

Hi,

I'm currently stuck with my sync due to the following situation:

on the left:
    file1.mov
    file2.mov
    file4.mov

on the right:
    file1.mp4
    file2.mp4
    file3.mp4

BC4's Folder Compare Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab option "Align filenames with different extensions" is set.

The content of the files is identical.

That leads to an "nothing to do" if I try to sync the files from left to right.
    Trying to copy from left to right works somewhat but keeps the filenames on the right side untouched.

How can I let Beyond Compare update the file names on the right side ?

Mirror is not an option, since the right folder contains more files than the left one and they shall not be deleted.

BR
    medic-mars-ballet
    Last edited by medic-mars-ballet; 03-Feb-2019, 07:09 AM.

Hello,

In this instance, once you verify the files are content identical, you could manually select only the files on the side that needs to be renamed, and trigger a multi-file rename. You can use the Display Filters to show only Same files (removing file3 and file4 from view assuming they are not aligned and equal).

*Since Rename cannot be Undone, please test with sample/test folders first.*

A regex similar to:
    (.*)\.mov
    to
    $1.mp4
    could rename any selected mov files to mp4.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you,

I gave it a try and it works.
      How about some more complex scenario?

e.g. on the left:
      file1 (additional info).mov
      file2 (additional info).mov
      file4.mov

on the right:
      file1.mp4
      file2.mp4
      file3.mp4

If I allign file1* and file2*, is there any way to get the file name from one side to the other?

Why does the copy operation in case of aligned files keep the targets (different) name?

medic-mars-ballet

Comment

Hello,

The Alignment Override equates a Left value name with Right value name, so the assumption is to keep the aligned pair as defined. Otherwise, after the Copy preserving a Source name could then break alignment if the Destination side reintroduces the Alignment Override name.

There isn't a rename across aligned items for your complicated scenario. If (additional info) is static, you could manually include it in the regex Rename. It's on our wishlist to expand this behavior.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

this relates to my often repeated wish to detect and handle renames and moves in Beyond Compare.

Comment

Thanks, that's a larger feature request, and is something on our Customer Wishlist.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X