X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23479 Folder COmpare Size failure

Why am I getting blank Size? E.g.

EGgX3yH.png

Please include a full screen screenshot so we can better determine all of the options enabled.

The subfolders Recent and Startmenu are fully built so they can display the size. My hunch is you have a Display Filter set to only show Orphans, and you have a non-orphan folder present (not visible) that is not fully built.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Please include a full screen screenshot so we can better determine all of the options enabled.
      I hope a full app window screenshot is sufficient.

g3EZWba.png

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      My hunch is you have a Display Filter set to only show Orphans, and you have a non-orphan folder present (not visible) that is not fully built.
      I checked that. No.

But now I find when I click Peek I see a Cookies folder with blank Size. Double-clicking it gives

t0BwtC3.png

Last edited by chrisjj; 17-Jan-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

From the screenshot, Local is an unbuilt subfolder with no size that is a subfolder in AppData. It would also need to be expanded to find what sub-item is not being built.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

So the answer to my question (Why am I getting blank Size?) coud be: because even when I do Expand All, BC incompletely 'builds' (not a recognised term in the BC UI) any item containing sub-item(s) outside the filter.

Right?

Comment

Hello,

No, there's too little information to reach that conclusion. My first hunch above was one idea. Another is a sub-folder could be Access Denied, which prevents access, size calculation, and then would not populate the sizes of any parent items. Or you may have the Session Setting, Handling tab, and also enable to Scan Top Level Orphans to automatically scan and calculate top-level subfolders.

Manually exploring into the child items to find the item that is not building would help provide clues as to why the size was not calculated.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

OK, I'll stop guessing :-)

Settings are:
              7yVUHM0.png

IIUC, "manually exploring" is what I did for this:

E3SQGZI.png

I'll drop my existing question and just ask: What do I need to do to get Size fully populated?

Comment

By default BC filters out protected operating system files, like Explorer does. Those are any files/folders that have the "system" and "hidden" attributes set (indicated by the "(sh)" after the file names). You can disable that filtering in the Session Settings dialog at the bottom of the "Other Filters" tab. Using "Suppress Filters" and "Expand All" is another way to force it to visit all of the hidden items. If that isn't sufficient, it's generally because of access denied errors when you don't have permission to access a folder. You can work around most of those by using "Run As Administrator" to launch BC. If, after taking those steps, it's still not showing a size, it's likely because we can't see the contents of certain folders even when running as administrator. Unfortunately if that's the case there's no way to make the column fill in. If you just want to see the size of all of the loaded folders in that case, you can use "Expand All" and "Select All Files". The size will be displayed in the status bar.
                ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

> By default BC filters out protected operating system files, like Explorer does.

ISTM it is really not smart for BC to filter out data it needs to do its job to display Size, unlike Explorer.

> Those are any files/folders that have the "system" and "hidden" attributes set (indicated by the "(sh)" after the file names). You can disable that filtering in the Session Settings dialog at the bottom of the "Other Filters" tab. Using "Suppress Filters" and "Expand All" is another way to force it to visit all of the hidden items. If that isn't sufficient, it's generally because of access denied errors when you don't have permission to access a folder. You can work around most of those by using "Run As Administrator" to launch BC. If, after taking those steps, it's still not showing a size, it's likely because we can't see the contents of certain folders even when running as administrator. Unfortunately if that's the case there's no way to make the column fill in.

I.e. BC Size needs a big ol' asterisk.

That's sad.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X