Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

23479 Move of one folder from .ZIP caused loss of all files within .ZIP

I:

* created a .ZIP in Explorer
    * in BC moved six folders and contents (a few hundred Mb) into that ZIP
    * in BC moved one of those folders back to its original place
    * Saw BC showed the .ZIP now contained:

Click image for larger version  Name:	t8qhCEC.png Views:	2 Size:	4.5 KB ID:	79676

Yes. Size 0. Using Only Compare Files, discovered all files were missing. Explorer likewise finds no files. BC shows the .ZIP size:

Click image for larger version  Name:	StAX30b.png Views:	1 Size:	2.2 KB ID:	79677

This using Windows 7 64-bit Pro.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chrisjj; 15-Jan-2019, 06:42 PM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

I've repeated these steps using similar sample files but did not see the behavior reproduce. If you follow the same steps but with a new test Archive file, creating a new .zip in Explorer and then Moving files into it, and then out of it, does it reproduce?

What steps did you follow exactly to create the .zip in Explorer? I right-clicked a single file, and used the Send To -> Compressed (zipped) folder command.

For future screenshots, could you please also include the full screen interface of BC4? This could help me see base folder paths and other clues that may help me reproduce this behavior.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      If you follow the same steps but with a new test Archive file, creating a new .zip in Explorer and then Moving files into it, and then out of it, does it reproduce?
      No.

I don't have the same file set, but trying with another first showed Copying 1 to 4,828, then

Click image for larger version

Name:	jz4UiBv.png
Views:	113
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	79690

(yes, 0) and then

Name:	ejPXGyd.png
Views:	95
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	79692

(a known problem), leaving the source files in place.

Restored from backup and tetried with a smaller file set (472Mb) again gave the decreasing file count and then

deleting at least some of the source files.

Restored from backup and tried again with 390Mb. Same fail.

Restored from backup and tried again with 52Mb. Success.

What steps did you follow exactly to create the .zip in Explorer?
      Right-click, New > WinZip File.

For future screenshots, could you please also include the full screen interface of BC4? This could help me see base folder paths and other clues that may help me reproduce this behavior.
      I do that when base folder paths don't contain confidential info.

Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

On my test system, I see similar behavior where the progress bar quickly copies all of the files then finishes but shows a 0 of X Waiting phase. However, if I wait during the Waiting phase, it does wrap up and resume without error. What error does this one step (copy into the blank zip) do on your system? If you let the waiting step finish, does it finish and work?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

The error is the one you see. Blank.

And its what I get after the waiting step. It finishes, but fails.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Do you see different behavior if you use BC4 itself to create the .zip archive? Instead of using the Winzip command, type the base folder into the path directly, adding ".zip" to the end so that it does not find the folder, and in the Not Found Folder dialog, click Create to create the zip archive.

Sorry, I noticed the Error dialog is empty, but was asking for clarification for each of the steps in the first forum post.
            - After initially creating the zip and moving items into it. If you open the zip in Winzip, are the items visible and does the Test command complete?
            - In the last step, you "move" a subfolder back with the Move command, but this creates a bad archive will all 0 sizes. But did the items you move move successfully? If you view the archive in Winzip, does it also show size 0 items, or does the view differ from BC4's view?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

Do you see different behavior if you use BC4 itself to create the .zip archive? Instead of using the Winzip command, type the base folder into the path directly, adding ".zip" to the end so that it does not find the folder, and in the Not Found Folder dialog, click Create to create the zip archive.
              No.

Creating with BC 'Folder not available' Create, then Moving one folder with approx. 4000 files of approx 400Mb total failed thus:

Name:	UtAaxn9.png
Views:	95
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	79734

Sorry, I noticed the Error dialog is empty, but was asking for clarification for each of the steps in the first forum post.
              The answer's unchanged.

- After initially creating the zip and moving items into it. If you open the zip in Winzip, are the items visible and does the Test command complete?
              I didn't do that. And now as you can see I can't get that far.

- In the last step, you "move" a subfolder back with the Move command, but this creates a bad archive will all 0 sizes. But did the items you move move successfully?
              No. An empty archive is what I call fail not success.

If you view the archive in Winzip, does it also show size 0 items, or does the view differ from BC4's view?
              I didn't do that. And now as you can see I can't get that far.

But "Explorer likewise finds no files".

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

I've also tried to duplicate the zip issue you reported but I've been unsuccessful. Are the files you're working with on local disks or network drives? If they're on network drives, are they provided by Windows servers or non-Windows NAS devices?

Also, it's possible antivirus software is causing an issue if it's configured to scan inside zip files. If you look at the log for your antivirus software does it show any errors or blocked file access? What antivirus software is used on your PC?
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Apr 2008

Thanks. The files are on local drived - RAID HDs.

The reported instances are with anti-virus off.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Do you have another computer or non-Raid internal drive you can test with? Does this workflow reproduce the error on other hardware for you?
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

Non-RAID??

Is BC sensitive to whether a HD is RAID?

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

No, my current hunch might be drivers or firmware related. I've tried performing similar trials here on my test machine, but zip creation works back and forth as expected, so I'm looking for what factors might be different between our systems. As soon as we find one, we can narrow down on the culprit.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                          Carpal Tunnel
                          • Apr 2008

> No, my current hunch might be drivers or firmware related

We can be sure BC's failure to show the error message is the fault of BC not my machine, right?

> I'm looking for what factors might be different between our systems. As soon as we find one, we can narrow down on the culprit.

I can foresee that exceeding the time I can afford for debugging BC.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

From the screenshots, it looks like the the Error dialog is present, but is showing a blank error. Since this error usually populates with the text passed back from the OS for a system level error, it's hard to know how or why the dialog is empty without more information.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                              Carpal Tunnel
                              • Apr 2008

> From the screenshots, it looks like the the Error dialog is present, but is showing a blank error.

Yup. It's been a problem for ages. Are there plans to fix it?

Comment

Working...