Ignore certain text when comparing folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignore certain text when comparing folders

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to use Beyond Compare to compare two folders that have some different files, and others that have similar filenames. I'd like the similar filenames to be ignored as different. So for instance, if folder A has files A123_started, B456_started and C789_started, while folder B has A123_done, B456_done, and D555_done, I'd like to ignore the "_certified" and "_done" strings so that I'm shown that only C789_certified and D555_done are different files. And I'd like it just to be about the filename, not the contents, as the contents will differ between A123_started and A123_done. That's fine. Just trying to find the files that don't have the two matching beginnings. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Hello,

BC4 Pro has a featured called Alignment Overrides, where you can define regular expressions or rules such as:
    *_started = *_done
    and
    C789_started = D555_done

which will then allow this specific change to align as long as the folders are on the same relative level. This is found in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings -> Misc tab, new Alignment Override. It is directional, and any different characters need to be explicitly defined for the Right/Destination side.

If you are licensed for Std edition, and need to test this feature, you can use this KB article to do so:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

How difficult is this to set up in reality, Aaron? Something like this would be perfect for what I'm trying to do as well, but it sounds way too complicated.

Comment

It depends on how the names change. If it is a single change for every folder/file name (adding "ThisPrefix-" to the front of only one side) is relatively easy. If the variance is shifting, but only on one side, it will require a slightly more complex Dos Mask or RegEx to match on it. If it is a random shift on both sides, then this feature won't be able to mask on the Destination side, and won't work in that case.

If it is the literal text _started = _done, then you can define one that is:
        *_started
        =
        *_done

And files that have matching fronts, with just this specific difference, will then align. The trial is fully featured to setup and test with your data set before purchase is necessary to make sure it works for you.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X