X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEMApps
    started a topic Run as Admin won't access network drives

Run as Admin won't access network drives

My first time on the forum even though I've been a user since V2. Absolutely my life-saver program.

But... with all the increased security in Windows 10, I can no longer write to a system folder like "Windows" or "Program Files" without starting BC as an administrator but once that is done, it will no longer access my mapped network drives.

If I could find the search on this forum, I would have tried that first because I'm sure this topic has been diuscussed before.

• Aaron
    replied
    Yes, if you run into Access Denied and the copy needs to be done as an Administrator, BC4 cannot prompt mid-run; it has to be launched with the Run As Administrator option. This is a separate issue from seeing the mounted drives, which is a general Windows policy of not showing mounted drives between Standard and Administrator (but mounting them as Standard and mounting them as Administrator then allows you to see them in either mode).

Leave a comment:

• STEMApps
    replied
    Then again, when I started BC in administrator mode, the file copied from the network drive to the Font folder. Solution: always "Run as Administrator".

Leave a comment:

• STEMApps
    replied
    Hmm.. that didn't work so well. Something else I need to do?

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

That is Windows working as designed as part of UAC. The quick fix is to remap the drives a second time while running in Run As Administrator mode (Command Prompt and 'net use', etc). This way, the drives exist while as a Standard User or in Run As Administrator mode.

There is also a 'EnableLinkedConnections' registry change that can be made to expose the mapped drives around this security feature. You can find more information here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...when-uac-is-co

Leave a comment:

Working...
X