Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invalid Pointer Operation - Network .zip file object reference disappearing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invalid Pointer Operation - Network .zip file object reference disappearing.

Hey everyone,

The work uses beyond compare and I've been with it since BC2. Somewhere late in BC3 and continuing on into BC4 now, some folks have an issue where one of our main daily tasks, comparing one push of a project to the next version of the project, I have been experiencing a reoccurring issue that I'm finally so tired of I joined the forums to see if someone here has an idea whats going on.

We have network drives where each push of a project resides. All source is located inside a typical .zip folder.
    When I select one .zip on the left, and then compare to the next version on the right, often as not, BC will load with an error. It will state that it can not find a file or the entire .zip on one side or the other.

Alternately, It will load, and in the middle of performing the actual comparison, some files can no longer be found. And attempting to locate any files in that zip folder is now impossible.

To me this seems like the object pointer to the .zip got trampled somehow, and the only solution is to close everything completely down and try again.

Running in a windows 7 environment. I have many of the different ... don't know the term, "codec" for different file types such as Office Word/Excel docs that allow a better comparison between them, installed from the scooter site.

Not everyone at my company has this issue, but some of us do, obviously it's something on our setups, and it's the more "power" users of BC that have this issue.

ANY help would be appreciated, as stated, after today where I just had to give up making my comparison report becuase it kept bugging out, I got fed up to the point of asking. I tried searching for similar topics where this would have been answered, but my googlefu is not strong enough.

Thank you much for your time and attention.

Derek

Hello,

Sometimes, when accessing files over an inconsistent network connection, we'll hit the File Not Found error. It can be a transitory error caused by a temporary lost or hung connection.

When working with .zip files, if you attempt to expand them, we'll need to unpack them as temporary files, which requires downloading them. If this is combined with a content scan, this can be a fairly demanding process, especially if the archives are large.

Would this help explain which users are hitting this and which aren't? Are you more likely to be accessing remote files (over a slower connection or VPN) and would the archives themselves be larger or more complex?

If you download the archive manually, locally to a c:\temp\, do you still hit similar errors or issues?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

When working with .zip files, if you attempt to expand them, we'll need to unpack them as temporary files, which requires downloading them. If this is combined with a content scan, this can be a fairly demanding process, especially if the archives are large.
      The archives are of significant size, ranging from hundreds of megs to as much as multi-gig.
      In addition there are times when you have to align folders within the .zip to others that have like files, but are housed in a folder with a unique name. I have noticed this action tends to cause the issue more often. Which is where it seemed like the object pointer became lost for one reason or another.
      Network speed is unlikely to be a factor, the network is very reliable and consistent baring the rare raid drive failure once in a blue moon that everyone has to deal with eventually.

Would this help explain which users are hitting this and which aren't? Are you more likely to be accessing remote files (over a slower connection or VPN) and would the archives themselves be larger or more complex?
      Unfortunately different users are not doing different things. Same types of archives with the same size and locations and user network positions are having or not having the issue.

If you download the archive manually, locally to a c:\temp\, do you still hit similar errors or issues?
      Downloading the archive is the last ditch effort to get a report created. Due to it no longer being a temporary file that is being operated on, the object reference never becomes invalid and reports created succussfully. However users then need to open the reports and manually update the "source" directory to make it show that the source of the file was the network to record the validity of where the content was grabbed from as opposed to a one off local copy that someone could have modified to "look" good. (we'll ignore that as engineers we can all fabricate that evidence if we want, but that's the whole trust of your position thing right?)
      [/QUOTE]

Comment

Hello,

Could we get a full screen screenshot of the error and/or a copy of the error text emailed to support@scootersoftware.com? Please also include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

The local copy wasn't intended as a solution, but a test to verify if the network connection is required to reproduce the issue, or if there's an issue with handling the archives themselves.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Sending two copies of a bug report. This occurs often but I am not seeing the invalid pointer message.

Something to note, discovered that the folks I spoke with regarding if they had seen the same issue or not, all have the root network folders mapped as a local drive instead of using the full network address as the file name.

When they then tried to use the same direct network filename instead of their mapped drive, they saw the same issues.

Comment

Thanks for the logs. I've opened a tracker entry to investigate, and emailed back a few more tests to try (opening the same problem files in various ways besides the context menu to see if/how they crash).
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X