X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlford67
    New User
    • Mar 2018

Feature Request: Ability to rename TABs

Is there any chance you can give us the ability to rename a tab? It currently just has the folder name <--> folder name.

For example:
    I have a workspace with 4 tabs, each with a folder compare against a different Linux server (on the left panel) and a directory on my C: drive (on the right panel). Currently all of the tabs have the EXACT same label, so I have to click through each one to find out which Linux server. If I right-click on a tab and then click "Select Tab" my options are:

LinuxDirName <--> WindowsDirName

I've uploaded 2 screen captures of the tab name problem.

It would be VERY helpful if we could override that Tab name with a meaningful Tab name.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you use the Session menu -> Save Session As, you can save the current comparison and give it a custom name, which is then used as the tab name.

You can also group saved sessions into a folder on the main Home screen, and right click that folder to load all of them at once in separate tabs.

Or you can save a Workspace (also Session menu), which saves the currently loaded sessions, tabs, and window positions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
      You can also group saved sessions into a folder on the main Home screen, and right click that folder to load all of them at once in separate tabs.
      I wasn't aware of that feature.

Can you explain in more detail how it works, or point to the section of the manual that explains it?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sessions function similarly to 'bookmarks' in a browser. It saves the current paths to compare in the view, and that view's current Session Settings (comparison configuration). This is useful for reloading the comparison again later to re-compare the folders/files. The Help File's Using Beyond Compare -> Home View chapter goes a bit into it as well.

Since Sessions can have custom names, the name is also used as the tab title.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
          Veteran
          • Dec 2007

But how do you "group saved sessions into a folder on the main Home screen"? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

In the Home View, right click in the saved sessions list and select New > Folder. Drag saved sessions into the folder. To launch all the sessions in the folder, right click on it and select Open Sessions.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
              Veteran
              • Dec 2007

Thanks, Chris.

Home View, right click in the saved sessions list
              If I do that, the popup context menu looks like this:
              Code:
              Open
              ---
              Edit
              ---
              Expand All
              Collapse All
              The saved sessions list is a tree view. I don't know if there's a way of changing that view.

Is there a way of performing the action "New > Folder" other than right-clicking with the mouse?

I'm using BC 4.2.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.4, if that's relevant.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Instead of right clicking on the tree view, try right clicking just below or to the right of the treeview, but still inside the panel. Then it should display New > Folder as a menu item.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
                  Veteran
                  • Dec 2007

Thanks, Chris.

I was able to get "New > Folder" to appear in the menu by dragging the vertical splitter to the right. That wasn't very intuitive, but at least it works.

Comment

• Dave_L
                    Veteran
                    • Dec 2007

To clarify:

try right clicking just below or to the right of the treeview, but still inside the panel
                    The tree view fills the panel vertically (I have a lot of saved sessions), so it's not possible to click below it.

As I noted above, dragging the vertical splitter to the right provides a place to right-click in which the "New > Folder" item appears in the menu. But it's not really clear where the tree view ends on the right.

Also, having adjusted the splitter, the "New > Folder" item remains in the menu even if I drag the splitter back to the left. Maybe there's an initialization issue, where the splitter has to be moved at least once after a new install? I suppose I'd have to re-install BC to verify that.

I consider the issue resolved. I only added these details in case you want to look into it further.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks. If you ever want to test a settings change, you'll want to use the Tools menu -> Export wizard to get a full back up of your settings. You can then either use the internal Restore Factory Defaults, or navigate to your settings folder (user/.config, etc) to find BCState.xml, BCSessions.xml and the other BC setting.xmls, where you can manually back them up or move them around to reset them.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...