X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpsamsonw
    New User
    • Oct 2017

Exe comparison

When comparing similar EXE files ( 2 versions of the same program, with same source code, compiled with same compiler/linker ) and so, with same length, BC4 does not seem to compare the full binary.
    At least , BC should compare ( and if possible display ) the timestamp field of the PE header.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

EXE files open, by default, in the Version Compare. The "Code -> Data" tab is a binary compare node that includes everything not in the Header. Is this node configured to be Important or Unimportant? The session defaults would be used for Rules-based scans in the Folder Compare. A Folder Compare could also be set to perform a Binary scan.

Which compare session type are you in, and what kind of comparison are you seeing?

Are you using the latest BC4 release (BC 4.2.3)? All 4.x updates are free for 4.x users.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jpsamsonw
      New User
      • Oct 2017

Thanks for your reply,

I am using version 4.2.3.
      When I compare EXE, I see a tree showing 'Code' , 'Pe Header' , 'Fixed' which includes my EXE version number, 'Translation' , and 'Variable', which includes basically my exe version, copyright, etc.

So, if there are minor differences within the code ( same length ) , I don't see them.
      It's why I suggest you to check the linker timestamp in PE header.
      The date from the filesystem is not relevant in my case, because the file was copied and transmitted many times, and in just lost.
      I don't know how to switch back to binary view ( that would better work).
      Thank you for you reply.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

In the tree under Code should be Data, which shows a size, but should return red/difference if there's a binary difference even if the size number is the same. In the Version Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Importance tab, is Code and Data checked or unchecked? Checked would make it an Important difference, while Unchecked would be unimportant.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Erik
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jpsamsonw
          I don't know how to switch back to binary view ( that would better work).
          In the main menu, pick Session > Compare Files Using > Hex Compare.
          Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Working...