Symbolic Link Handling in WSL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symbolic Link Handling in WSL

Is there any plan to handle symbolic links (meaning the "Follow symbolic links" option) within the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

Unfortunately, no, we don't currently plan to handle those.

For various reasons, the WSL symlinks are a different type of reparse point from existing Windows symlinks/junctions and it isn't intended that regular Win32 applications will support them. We could update BC to recognize one of those files, but we can't see what the target path is or follow the link. Microsoft wrote up the reasoning in their WSL File System Support blog post.

If that changes in the future, we will look into it again. For now, you could try either setting up an FTP or SSH server in the WSL or install an X server in Windows like Xming and then run BC for Linux, but those aren't officially supported configurations and we haven't tested either approach.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

I don't think any of the suggested workarounds will work in my case - I'm looking to set up Beyond Compare as the diff tool for 'git difftool'. I can force git to not generate symbolic links (--no-symlinks) but I can't edit the file from within BC. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the answer.

Comment

If you use the Linux version of BC4 for those diffs, then it should have access to that filesystem. If using symlinks, you also need to enable the Follow Symbolic Links option in the Handling tab of that install. BC4 keys are multiplatform, so you can have both installs on your machine at the same time.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm having problems installing BC4, but I'll start another thread for that.

Comment

For users following this thread, the other thread has started here:
            https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...-BC4-under-WSL
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X