X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wbahnassi
    New User
    • Jun 2017

File diffs in Folder Compare

Hi, in the Folder Compare view, say I compare some folders and I see files with differences in their contents. If I double click one of those files, the diff opens up in a new tab. Is there a way to do this for more than one file at once? I'd like to open tabs for all the diffs of the files I selected.

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, you can enable a Rules-based scan to 'automatically double click all of the files'. The default comparison for the Folder Compare is timestamp/size/override, but you can additionally enable a Rules-based scan in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab.

We have more details here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• wbahnassi
      New User
      • Jun 2017

Thanks Aaron, perhaps I didn't make my question clear. My request is purely on the UI side (nothing to do with the comparison method). Starting from results in a folder compare view, how can I open individual file diff tabs for files with differences? Right now I have to double-click each and every file I want to view, which is cumbersome.

Thanks!

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare doesn't provide a method to launch multiple Text Compare sessions from a Folder Compare session. However, after you double click to open a pair of files in the Text Compare, use the Search > Next Difference Files (Control+M) or Search > Previous Difference Files (Shift+Control+M) to cycle through different files.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
          Veteran
          • Oct 2007

Reading Your question I had this idea, You have to check if it suits Your needs. I put here a screen-shot with my own settings.
          You can add an "Open With" entry, that points to B.C. itself, with parameters %f1 and %f2, and mark: Accept files; Accept folders; Multiple instances.
          Now, You can select many couples of files, then right click and choose "Open With" and then choose this new entry (BC).
          In my case, it opens new instances of B.C., each one for a couple of files.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
          Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

This can open in Windows or Tabs depending on the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Open sessions in new window/tab settings.

Also, you'll want to add quotes around the paths to handle whitespace:
            "c:\program files\beyond compare 4\bcompare.exe" "%f1" "%f2"
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mmag
              Enthusiast
              • Jan 2006

Hello! This is the perfect thread for my question, I think. After having the "file comparison" session open... Is there a "button" for "open folder compare session for containing folders" of the files in "file comparison"? Thank you!

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Not a button, but the File menu has a “Compare parent folders” commands that does it.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...