No announcement yet.

Moving lines from left to right panes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving lines from left to right panes.

Good morning, folks. Can you review my screen cap for me? I'll explain what I noticed. On the left is some text which BC4 detected as changed compared to what's on the right. Starting from the top of the file, when I move to the next section it correctly selects the block of code which the yellow arrow highlighted in the left pane. When I click the arrow it moves the block to the right pane. Notice in the left pane the //{ below the selected block isn't automatically included even though it's a blank line in the right pane. To complete the merge from left to right I had to select the //{ line and copy the line over to the right pane. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is the selected block is replacing lines in the right pane but //{ isn't really replacing anything, in other words, what's on the right pane is a null line. In a sense then, the //{ is a new line of text but being immediately below the selected block I'd have thought it should have been part of the block as it is, be definition, a change?

Have I misunderstood something basic? The //if went over fine but I can't see why the //{ didn't. I completed the left to right merge successfully but I nearly overlooked moving the //{. In short three lines on the left differ to the three lines on the right. I suspect it's me at fault, not BC4, but I'd appreciate any feedback to help improve my understanding.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

I think I found the answer. I'd clicked on the ribbon's Minor button. Unclicking it seems to be okay now.

Comment

Thanks, and yes, you've got it. The Minor button (Ignore Unimportant Differences) toggle will optionally ignore unimportant/blue differences as black and treat them as equal. Comments are Unimportant by default, so if the Minor button is enabled, it would be "equal" text and not part of a difference section. If disabled, Important and Unimportant Differences are both Differences (and part of a section if next to each other).
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
      X