Running BC4 from a USB memery stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running BC4 from a USB memery stick

My boss will not let me install any "third party software" on my PC. As a user of BC for many years, I find it very difficult to survive without it. Is it possible to run BC4 from a memory stick, i.e. without installing any files or changing the registry on the PC itself? I realise that I probably won't get all the features (e.g. context menus) but if I could get the basic functionality to compare files and directories and to copy from one to the other, that would be wonderful. I have no idea whether the boss would see this as acceptable, but I figure it should be (I would not have "installed any third party software" on the laptop), and in any case, how would he ever know?

Thanks - Rowan

Hello,

Yes, BC4 can run this way. You can create the install using our setup.exe, and during the install wizard pick to Create Portable Install instead of Install or Update. This creates a folder on your Desktop\ by default, which you can copy to a usb stick. This is a single directory install that keeps its settings like BCState.xml, BCSessions.xml, etc within the same folder. You do lose the context menu, as this requires edits to the Windows Registry, which a Portable Install can't do.

You may want to check with your boss if this style of install is ok. It could be run from the usb stick or from a folder on your computer (not a protected folder like Program Files\, but something like C:\Tools\Beyond Compare 4\).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X