My wish-list: what-if in scripts.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wish-list: what-if in scripts.

Hello, reading messages in these forum it seems to me that there are some people (I am the first one!) that have to experiment with scripts.
    So, I had this idea.
    You might add a new command to scripts, such as what-if, that prevents the script from actually doing changes.
    The script would write in the log all details of all operation that would be done with that script, but without doing them.
    In this way I might write a new script, or modify an existing one, test it with what-if, and only when I am satisfied I would remove the what-if command and make the script the final one.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll add a command to display/log script output without making file system changes to our feature request list.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I was thinking about this idea of mine, and I realized that maybe it is not so easy to implement it, and that it will require the use of snap-shots.
      For example, imagine that I use these commands in a script to handle two folders.
      I select newer right files, then copy them to the left.
      After that, I select equal files and I delete them.
      The what-if feature must consider that files that were newer on the right have been "copied" to the left and so now are equal and must be "deleted".
      So, the what-if command must keep track of changes.
      The only idea that I have is that You might want to use Your snap-shot technology to simulate a folder.

Thank You very much again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

It's not a project we'll be able to tackle soon, but improving our script troubleshooting and help is on our wishlist; I'll add these notes, too, to our tracker entry on the subject.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X