Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show files with same content but different timestamp

Hi,

how can I display files with identical content (binary) but different timestamp?

use cases:

There is a known issue with Windows Search "touching" files inadvertently, i.e. setting their mtime to the moment of the indexing. By comparing an archive to the live data, one could repair the timestamps.

Daylight saving issues.

Repairing other operations not preserving timestamps.

Oliver

The fast way to fix the timestamps is to run a binary comparison, filter to only show matches, select all files, then use the Touch command to copy timestamps between sides. This way you might end up copying timestamps on some files that already have matching timestamps, but it isn't an expensive operation so it shouldn't hurt anything.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

thanks for the quick reply, but the question was how to show (display, find, detect) the files with different timestamps.

Oliver

Comment

Go to Rules/Comparison
        Check Time Stamps
        Check or uncheck your preferred content comparison - CRC, Binary or none
        Either use for current session only or update defaults to make universal
        This will display files with unmatched time stamps as well as reflecting your preference for content matching.

Comment

Both suggestions will not distinguish files with same timestamp from files with different timestamp.

Comment

Hello,

Disable the Session Setting, Comparison tab, "Override quick test results". Leave the Binary scan enabled. You can then view all different files (timestamp or binary scan), and not any files that have different timestamps but an equal content scan icon in the center column.

If there are too many files to distinguish this manually, you can first run only a Content Scan, find all files with a different content scan in the center column, Edit menu -> Select All Files, Edit menu -> Exclude. This will exclude by file name all the files with a different content scan. Then, next, re-enable the timestamp and disable Override quick tests, then view the remaining Different results. Since all content differences were filtered out by name, all that should remain are files with different timestamps but equal contents.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Disable the Session Setting, Comparison tab, "Override quick test results"
              this helps, thanks!

If there are too many files to distinguish this manually, you can first run only a Content Scan, find all files with a different content scan in the center column, Edit menu -> Select All Files, Edit menu -> Exclude.
              even better. Two questions on this:

* Will this work also for >10000 files?
              * How can I avoid clutter in my "recently used filter" list?

DEL doesn't seem to work in the filter list as i.e. in the Firefox URL bar.

But instead of setting a filter to hide binary different files, I can sort for the comparison column, this will do the job also.

Oliver

Comment

Hello,

This is a two pass method that isn't meant to persist. Since criteria can change but the file name filters are static, you'd avoid clutter by not saving this session or deleting all the file name filters. Next time you need to re-run this test, you'd need to regenerate and the Exclude list of file names based on the current status of the comparison (not the list as it existed yesterday or the day before).

An exclusion list of 10,000 individual names? That's larger than anticipated and may not work, but when you execute the command give it time to see if it can complete.

The Delete key on your keyboard doesn't back-delete in your filter bar text? It should be supported. Can you delete text in the base folder paths or in the main text compare? Or are you using a different sort of DEL command?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The Delete key on your keyboard doesn't back-delete in your filter bar text? It should be supported. Can you delete text in the base folder paths or in the main text compare? Or are you using a different sort of DEL command?
                  I can edit the current filter, but I can't delete items from the history.

In Firefox, you can browse the URL history and delete entries from the history.

Oliver

Comment

The MRU dropdown does not support editing, but you can limit the number of items shown in the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Tweaks section: "X max most recently used (MRU) items" and restarting the program.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                    X