Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transferring(and verifying) from Windows to Box/Linux Vice Versa (Best practices)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring(and verifying) from Windows to Box/Linux Vice Versa (Best practices)

When transferring data from Windows to Box or Linux I'm running into the well know issue of file sizes changing.
    I've heard that transferring them in Binary mode can actually keep the file size the same but changes the file in some way? (line breaks etc....as the 2 OS's read the text slightly different.) I can't have this. I need to preserve the file integrity.

What is the best method or maintaining the file integrity AND verifying it?
    1) Leave it in auto mode (ACSII or Binary - causing a difference in file size) and set certain rules for a rules based comparison. If so, what rules? We often have time stamp differences so that is not an ideal comparison method.
    2) Or transfer in binary mode (because the files DONT change?) and use file size comparison...
    3)?

I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Options 1 and 2 are the choices that work.

1) Leave it in Auto mode. Windows marks the end of a line of text with two characters, Carriage Return and Line Feed. Unix/Linux marks the end of a line of text with one character, Line Feed. When you transfer files between Windows and Linux using ASCII mode, the line ending is converted, resulting in a file size change.

To ignore the file size change in the Folder Compare, click the Rules toolbar button (referee icon). In the Comparison tab, check "Compare Contents", then select "Rules-based comparison". This will compare the text contents of files and ignore differences in the line ending style. Because it reads file contents, it will be slower than the default file size and modified date comparison.

2) Change transfer type from Auto to Binary. When you upload text files from Windows to Linux, this will result in Windows style line endings (CR LF) on the Linux system. Most web content (PHP, HTML) tolerates this just fine, but system configuration files and perl scripts usually don't work correctly if they have Windows style line endings on a Linux system.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      1) Leave it in Auto mode. Windows marks the end of a line of text with two characters, Carriage Return and Line Feed. Unix/Linux marks the end of a line of text with one character, Line Feed. When you transfer files between Windows and Linux using ASCII mode, the line ending is converted, resulting in a file size change.

To ignore the file size change in the Folder Compare, click the Rules toolbar button (referee icon). In the Comparison tab, check "Compare Contents", then select "Rules-based comparison". This will compare the text contents of files and ignore differences in the line ending style. Because it reads file contents, it will be slower than the default file size and modified date comparison.
      Do I also leave Compare file size checked? Or uncheck it?
      When running Rules-based comparison what rules is it checking/comparing against? is that just for TEXT FILES?

Thanks for you help!

Comment

File size can remain checked if Override Quick Test Results is also enabled (which it is by default). The Rules-based Results will then override the Size, if the results differ.

Rules-based will work on all files, using the appropriate results for the file extension. Text for Text files, MP3 Compare for mp3 files, Hex for binary files, etc.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X