Auto Rename Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Rename Files

Sometimes i need a new filename when a never file with the same name on source folder. I wish BC make this new filename automatically without user interaction. Also Multi Rename with exif metadata will be nice. Moving Files from Mobile Devices and cameras should be possible with only one program. At time i need TC for Multirename and BC for synchronizing or moving files.

Hello,

BC4's Backup options can perform a rename on copy of one level. Our rename command also accepts multiple files selected, and uses a DOS Mask or Regular Expression to rename them. This doesn't support editing any additional metadata. However, please be aware that BC4 does not support Undo, so test any renames or copies with test data first while learning how the commands work.

If Total Commander supports the specific edit you are making from the command line, you could also create an Open With for BC4, which can perform the command line on a selected file and then refresh on completion.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The Backup-Feature i dont need. This mean every file will be saved on another folder.
      The Commanders MC, FC and TC support Multirename of files with search and replace and many metadata like exif date, camera name or creation date or modify date. I wish that BC rename the files automatically while copy or move, so that at the target folder the files will be with, for example, the modify date be saved. This will be very nice and this is a suggestion for maybe BC 5

Comment

Hello,

So you need a selective backup? A backup created on a copy only sometimes, but not other times?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          Hello,

BC4's Backup options can perform a rename on copy of one level. Our rename command also accepts multiple files selected, and uses a DOS Mask or Regular Expression to rename them. This doesn't support editing any additional metadata. However, please be aware that BC4 does not support Undo, so test any renames or copies with test data first while learning how the commands work.

If Total Commander supports the specific edit you are making from the command line, you could also create an Open With for BC4, which can perform the command line on a selected file and then refresh on completion.
          Any idea when BC will support rename of destination file (if exist) during copy for more levels?

This is the most important feature for backing up file data servers.

Comment

Hello,

We do not support auto-renaming if a file already exists for multiple levels, but is still something on our wishlist. If the file is already present, it should be an aligned pair. You can use the Display Filters to limit the view to only these pairs of files, of different criteria, and then choose an action. This can be to overwrite the file in the destination, or use Copy To Folder to copy to another, new location. This location can optionally preserve the folder structure as well, making future comparisons between it and either original Folder Compare side easier, since items will have the same folders and file names.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X