21719 Version Compare processor type oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21719 Version Compare processor type oddity

Version Compare shows Processor AMD64 for all the viewed System32 DLLs on this Windows 7 64-bit on Intel processor.

What's up, I wonder.

The processor/machine code in the PE Header shows the processor for which the executable was compiled, not that on which your program happens to be running. AMD64 and x64 have the same internal code (0x8664) in the PE Header field and the externally-visible names for the internal code are used interchangeably.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrost View Post
      The processor/machine code in the PE Header shows the processor for which the executable was compiled, not that on which your program happens to be running.
      I took that for granted. Yet there is no "the" (singular) processor for which this code has been compiled. The code has no more been compiled specifically for the AMD processor IDed than for an Intel processor not IDed.

Originally posted by tfrost View Post
      AMD64 and x64 have the same internal code (0x8664) in the PE Header field and the externally-visible names for the internal code are used interchangeably.
      I think if BC says AMD and not Intel it is reasonably assumed to mean AMD and not Intel. If the program does means both, it would be better to say both.

BTW, here's BC saying I386 only:

Last edited by chrisjj; 27-Oct-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

AMD64 and x86-64 are synonyms:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

The Value that Windows uses in the header is IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_AMD64, so that's the text we picked to use when implementing this tag:
        https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

It's perhaps the more technical phrasing, but users concerned with the PE Header are often more technical. We'd consider updating the text as a particular terminology gains more favor.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X